The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   What oil and oil filter are you high mileage guys using (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=662899)

richards72chevy 03-09-2015 08:26 PM

What oil and oil filter are you high mileage guys using

I just want hear what you guys are using.

Russell Ashley 03-10-2015 09:47 AM

Re: What oil and oil filter are you high mileage guys using

I'm still putting Castrol 5W-30 in my 02 Suburban with 183K. I change it when the light on the dash tells me it's time, usually about 6K miles, and it will use about one quart between changes.

karrlogs 03-12-2015 09:35 PM

I've used castrol gtx and mobil oil. But I think regular oil does alright as long as you don't take too long between oil changes. Every 4 years or so.

Special-Ed 03-12-2015 10:33 PM

212k mobil 1 only... synthetic is where its at.

imjeff 03-12-2015 10:35 PM

Mobil 1 and Wix filters.

truckdude239 03-13-2015 08:34 AM

i use castrol high milleage with a puratlor pure one or k&n filter

JWALTON 03-14-2015 02:01 PM

mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 an ac filter

LEEVON 03-14-2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWALTON (Post 7090103)
mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 an ac filter

Many of the Delco p/n's have changed and are now cheapies. I bought up old stock for my trucks but we aren't even using the new ones in my shop. We talked to the Delco reps and did cutaways to examine the quality.

The O'Reilly's house brand Microguard are made by WIX and high quality.

rs74 03-14-2015 06:00 PM

Mobil 1 synthetic and Napa Gold/Wix filters

68c10airstream 03-14-2015 10:25 PM

Castrol gtx and change often. I have a K+P engineering re-useable stainless steel filter. Super flow, easily cleaned, magnet inside, and machined aluminum thick housing. Nice to be able to see what is going on inside your engine by looking at the magnet and the screen. Primes really fast on start-up. This product is approved for the aviation industry also. Nothing cheesy here.

Angryman117 03-16-2015 12:27 AM

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 and Wix/Napa or Mobil1 filters.

JRE 03-16-2015 12:39 AM

Amsoils 5w-30 Amsoil Filter.

richards72chevy 03-17-2015 08:33 PM

Are you Mobil 1 guys using the high mileage version?

cst204x4 03-17-2015 08:46 PM

I run the high milage Mobil 1 in my 1998 suburban it now has 250,000 miles

clinebarger 03-17-2015 09:17 PM

Mobil 1 10w-30 & Delco PF61 is what I always ran in my '04 5.3L, Pulled the pan, Timing cover, & Valley cover off this past weekend getting ready for the transplant into a Camaro, It looked new on the inside! Zero varnish.

Stay away from Delco E-core filters, They are junk!, E-core filters generally have a "E" suffix....PF61E for example. Look down in the filter, If you see a plastic media support...It's an E-core, Metal support...Classic design.

fun in dirt 03-18-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 7094910)
Stay away from Delco E-core filters, They are junk!, E-core filters generally have a "E" suffix....PF61E for example. Look down in the filter, If you see a plastic media support...It's an E-core, Metal support...Classic design.

Yeah I noticed this too...when opened the box the E filter just looked wrong. So went with my gut & drove the 50 mile trip to town & back to return it & went and got a Wix; my husband thought I was crazy (he still does sometimes :lol:). But later did some research & found all the problems folks had with these "E" suffix filters....
All to say, I now stick with Wix filters & Castrol Syntec for the newer daily drivers, & Delo 400 15/40 in the old Blazer.

GRADYS Performance 03-18-2015 04:35 PM

Amsoil and Amsoil filter.

72bowtiestepper 03-18-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 7094910)
Mobil 1 10w-30 & Delco PF61 is what I always ran in my '04 5.3L, Pulled the pan, Timing cover, & Valley cover off this past weekend getting ready for the transplant into a Camaro, It looked new on the inside! Zero varnish.

Thanks for the info. on the "E" AC Delco filters....did not know about the design change. Wix for me from now on !

Boog 03-18-2015 09:49 PM

I have for all of my adult years bought AC Delco products feeling confident that if it was good enough for GM to use it had to be good stuff. But in recent years their quality comes into question and pricing.
Back in the 70s' Delco almost priced themselves out of the battery business. That deal lead to a lot of new battery brands popping up.
This Delco "E" filter has me thinking. I thought I saw it was for Enhanced or something like that. I have already switched from the Delco air filter to Wix filter solely because of the price. The oil filter may be next.

69gmcc10 03-20-2015 04:36 PM

Mobil 1 5w-30 (no high mileage) and Wix filters in everything I own; new, old, import, and domestic!

I change my oil when the computer says oil life is about 30% (3-4k miles) and after I run 1/3 of a can of sea-foam in the oil for about 50 miles for a good cleaning. I consume about 1/2 a quart of oil every oil change.

gmachinz 03-20-2015 07:54 PM

I only use Mobil 1 and either a Mobil 1 or K&N filter. No need for "high mileage" synthetics-just use the regular Mobil 1. I don't even use the SuperSyn stuff. If anybody really wants detailed info on oil differences I could go on forever BUT-Im sure people will say "what about RP? What about Joe Gibbs Racing" ? blah blah.

Here's the scoop-unless an oil company discloses actual performance numbers, I don't care what they "claim". Here's the two most important aspects to look for in an oil:

1.) Rate of evaporation
2.) Film strength

IMO everything else is moot if these two numbers are poor. Rate of evap. refers to how much heat an oil can take before it begins to break down (oxidation is another term...that's the varnishy brown junk you see under your valve covers, etc.) and synthetics are much higher than conventional oil here. Film strength is the pressure at which an oil can resist being squeezed out from between two surfaces (ie bearing/journal)

All non synthetics are considered a Group III hydro cracked carbon and here are their numbers:

1.) 350F
2.) 1200 psi

Now, Amsoil is rated as:

1.) 600F
2.) 3000 psi

Amsoil is tops but I should note Mobil 1 is only barely below those numbers so I'd rank them 2nd best.

gmachinz 03-20-2015 07:57 PM

Imo zinc, anti wear additives blah blah shouldn't be a concern as long as your film strength number is high...so use a high quality full synthetic and forget about the rest.

53burb 03-20-2015 10:48 PM

I use Mobil1 Extended Life Synthetic & Mobil 1 Extended Life filter on a '99 Silverado, '04 Camry, & '10 Corolla.

richards72chevy 03-21-2015 07:37 AM

Thanks for all the info.I have been running valvoline max life synthetic and a fram high mileage filter.Seems to be a lot of threads about older engine oils but nothing on the newer engines
I have been told the high mileage oils have more zinc and can burn up the cats.I think I switch over to the Mobil 1 and the wix or Mobil 1 filter.

Weasel Diesel 04-13-2015 09:21 PM

Amsoil oil and Donaldson filter