The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Header clearance help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=664344)

Kaptain Kadian 03-21-2015 11:21 PM

Header clearance help

Hello guys, I could use your help on a problem I have been dealing with for over 15 years. I put some headers on my truck around 15 years ago and have had clearance issues with them ever since. It has been so long ago, I don't remember which brand I ended up settling on. I know I tried 3 or 4 and none of them fit worth a crap. When I first took it to the muffler shop to install them, they ground out a spot one the passenger side frame just beside the starter for clearance without asking me. Not too happy with that. That side fits roughly ok with the notch in the frame. The driver side sits less than an inch away from the lower control arm and hits it when driving. It even hit the crossmember on the driver side. And this was the best fitting set I could find. Anyone know why they would sit so close to the a arm or what I could do to fix the problem? I have taken most of my front end apart right now, so I can't take any pictures. I am in the process of cleaning up and painting my frame while it is still on the truck. I am also doing a front brake disc upgrade that prompted all of this project. Thanks

scott-wisc 03-22-2015 07:05 AM

Re: Header clearance help

1 Attachment(s)
I bought Hedman Hedders from summit. They dropped in and I have no clearance issues. There are different models for different configurations of the vehicle set up, so I never state which part number I have when asked. If you need new headers, call Summit and Jegs, then verify by calling the manufacturer.

special-K 03-22-2015 07:46 AM

What year is your truck and is it a big block or small block? And was it originally a 6cyl?

Chevypoor 03-22-2015 08:52 AM

Running Hooker 2452s on my small block in a 2wd 69 lb. Traded a set of tires for a 350 with them on it from a another 67-72 truck. Fit great with zero issues. I prefer Herman but these were essentially free!

Kaptain Kadian 03-22-2015 09:31 AM

My truck is a 70 with a 350. It was originally a 350 small block

MAC71 03-22-2015 10:17 AM

I have hooker headers on my 71 c10 and had to make a small dent in the headers to clear the frame on the passenger side. I have a friend who also has hooker headers on his 67 and needed a lot more room and cut a notch in his frame and a different friend who has hooker headers in a 72 and had about 1/2 in of clearance. Bottom line is one header will fit differently on different trucks.

MAC71 03-22-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC71 (Post 7100973)
I have hooker headers on my 71 c10 and had to make a small dent in the headers to clear the frame on the passenger side. I have a friend who also has hooker headers on his 67 and needed a lot more room and cut a notch in his frame and a different friend who has hooker headers in a 72 and had about 1/2 in of clearance. Bottom line is one header will fit differently on different trucks.

Just thought of somthing on my friends truck that they clear the frame his engine mount brackets had large holes in them and maybe the engine is mounted with a slight tilt. Just a thought.

mechanicalman 03-22-2015 12:35 PM

Hooker long tubes fit my 72, hooker a/c bracket, no problems no mods necessary for me.

Had a cheap set once, hit the frame and had to weld the leaky tubes (new headers, Blackjack brand).

Dan Wales 08-30-2016 12:45 PM

I have a similar problem I bought a set of Headmans, had them coated inside and out. A beautiful job. They sit about 3/4's of a inch away from the lower A arm bushing on the drivers side. Counting coating I have about $450 tied up in these headers I'm not about to beat them up.

I bought a new trans cross member and have a 700R4 going in there. The cross member is slotted I think I can move the engine back another 1/4 to 3/8's inch. I think there is enough firewall clearance with the HEI to do that.

My concern with that is that maybe the heat will be enough to boil out the lube.

Any tips with similar situation would be appreciated. They do hang a little low going into the collector but I can live with that. I will be driving all pavement so just have to keep an eye out for surprise dips.

Dan :chevy:

72bowtiestepper 08-30-2016 04:03 PM

I have Summit brand (made by flowtek) & have no problem with fitment on my 72 C-10 with 350 & TH-350. They were cheap...about $120 w/ free shipping.

garyd1961 08-30-2016 07:27 PM

I have Headman and they are a little close to the grease fitting on my lower control arms but not hitting. I plan to install angled grease fittings, other than that no problems.

Low69CST 08-30-2016 09:08 PM

I have a set of ceramic coated headmans. No clearance issues. I was also worried about fluids and temps. Everything I've read says the ceramic coating keeps temps down where that sent an issue. I will look at the control arm tomorrow. You have me curious.

ck5566 08-31-2016 03:17 AM

In my Opinion I'd go back to the Trucks Ram Horns. Tighten them up once and forget about them, NO I am not from NY Calif grown.

Dan Wales 08-31-2016 12:11 PM

I got the truck with a set of cheap headers on it. If it would have had the stock manifolds I may have kept them.

Looking at the clearance I don't see how the lower control arm could move if at all enough at all to touch the header. I'm kinda concerned about heat. The coating may help a lot with that, thinking about it now a wrap on the tube or tubes in that area may work just fine.

Sure doesn't hurt to ask a couple thousand years of experience on here about it.

Thanks

Dan :chevy: