The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   stock trail arm cross member with 5" drop? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=665366)

Possmguts 03-29-2015 09:23 PM

stock trail arm cross member with 5" drop?

As Im getting close to having a rolling chassis Im worried about the stock cross member with the big static drop I went with. I want to know from you guys with a 5 inch drop in back. Will I have an issue with squat from the stock trail arm location, and will my drive shaft have clearance issues?

If I have to change it out, now is the time while I have the rear end out still.

I guess I already know I should get a drop member, but Im trying to be cheap here....

Possmguts 03-29-2015 09:54 PM

Re: stock trail arm cross member with 5" drop?

I guess I havnt done my reading on the subject... The crossmember for a drop is more important than I though when it comes to pinion angles.
After putting so much money in the rearend the smart thing would be to just break down and get one.

I hate that because the frame has already been painted and Ill have to try not to mess it up too bad grinding out rivets now.... :hh:

lolife99 03-29-2015 10:15 PM

You can always shim the rearend with tapered shims.
You won't know your pinion angle until you have the truck assembled with all the weight on the suspension.

Possmguts 03-29-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 7111717)
You can always shim the rearend with tapered shims.
You won't know your pinion angle until you have the truck assembled with all the weight on the suspension.

Isnt that the whole reason the arm mounts are higher on a drop crossmember though? Once the cab is back on it would be pretty hard to change it. The frame is already sealed and painted but I would rather have to deal with it now than later... or maybe at lease get the shackles with the higher mounting points. That might be the better way to go huh? With the pan hard bar mounts, the shock mounts, and the shims if I go that route, I would think having all those parts stacked up I would need to mount it all and then tack it all together, pull it off and then weld it all up as one piece per side, but that might be the better way to go... damn it, I guess its a toss up
I know its going to take some time until the truck settles down with all the new springs, so the shims may be the best option... maybe

Tom Vogel 03-30-2015 09:43 AM

Here you go... https://www.performanceonline.com/19...ar-Suspension/

uncle 03-30-2015 12:21 PM

I had truck with 4.5/7 drop that I drove daily for 1.5 yrs and never had problem. I used Early Classic parts plus small block in rear. Stock x-member and stock trail arms in stock location.

67 chevelle 03-30-2015 12:27 PM

Hey 3-5 drop here , from cpp , no issues , used my stock panard also , 68 long fleet , only issue I had was crap front shocks that came with the kit they both leaked out within 2 months , I replaced with another brand , and have not had an issue since

leddzepp 03-30-2015 12:35 PM

Stock crossmember here with 5" drop springs and 2" blocks. No issue with the crossmember, but i did need a c notch in the frame for clearance.

csfields 03-30-2015 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am running 4" shorter springs and 2" blocks for a total of 6" static drop with no issues.

Here is a undercarriage shot. Looks close, but there is plenty of clearance.

67 chevelle 03-30-2015 12:48 PM

cfields , I see you have eliminated your carrier bearing , is that a long or short bed , I would think angles would be more critical with a one piece shaft

pablo101 03-30-2015 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mines a 5" rear static drop and stock trailing arms..no problems

csfields 03-30-2015 02:01 PM

It's a short bed no issues to date

leftybass209 03-30-2015 02:42 PM

I'm glad this was brought up. I was pretty sure I wouldn't need the dropmember, but I wasn't 100%. I was going to drop it regardless and swap it afterwards if it became a problem but now I see I can move on without issues! Great pic csfields!

Possmguts 03-30-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 7112182)

Thanks for the link...

And thanks for the input everyone. I feel better now and will leave it be and just use these wedges if needed. Ill just do the C notch and use the stock arms and crossmember. Saves me a few bucks for something else now.

Possmguts 03-30-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablo101 (Post 7112405)
Mines a 5" rear static drop and stock trailing arms..no problems

What did go go with in front? I think I may have to go a little more in back. I went 5.5 in front and only 5 in back. No idea what its going to sit like yet but I want it maybe 2" higher in back than the front