The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Looking for advice on flexplate starter alignment (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=678042)

Shellyarrowsmith 07-30-2015 09:53 AM

Looking for advice on flexplate starter alignment

Hello I am looking for advice on an out of alignment flex plate. Recently put new one in as the old one had 4 broken teeth. Bought same one put it in and the starter is chewing the thing up. Took about 10 attempts to get the starter in the bell housing. The friend I had doing it said he thinks that this flex plate is the wrong one and will continue to chew it up. My truck is 69 Chevy c10 with a 396 and 400 turbo auto trans, does any one have any ideas on this issue that could assist as the flex plate is as per manufacture specs.
Posted via Mobile Device

cooperhw 07-30-2015 11:44 AM

Re: Looking for advice on flexplate starter alignment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellyarrowsmith (Post 7258307)
Hello I am looking for advice on an out of alignment flex plate. Recently put new one in as the old one had 4 broken teeth. Bought same one put it in and the starter is chewing the thing up. Took about 10 attempts to get the starter in the bell housing. The friend I had doing it said he thinks that this flex plate is the wrong one and will continue to chew it up. My truck is 69 Chevy c10 with a 396 and 400 turbo auto trans, does any one have any ideas on this issue that could assist as the flex plate is as per manufacture specs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you sure the flex plate was installed correctly? it's easy to turn the around. There is a lip where it slides over the crankshaft that "must" be pointing towards the transmission. If not it will have it too far away from the engine to allow the starter to mesh it's teeth with the teeth on the flex plate. You should be able to measure how far away the flex plate whether or not the starter can fully engage. My bet is on flex plate on backwards. Might need shimmed, but,,,,,,,JMO:waah:

Shellyarrowsmith 07-30-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7258415)
Are you sure the flex plate was installed correctly? it's easy to turn the around. There is a lip where it slides over the crankshaft that "must" be pointing towards the transmission. If not it will have it too far away from the engine to allow the starter to mesh it's teeth with the teeth on the flex plate. You should be able to measure how far away the flex plate whether or not the starter can fully engage. My bet is on flex plate on backwards. Might need shimmed, but,,,,,,,JMO:waah:

Posted via Mobile Device

Shellyarrowsmith 07-30-2015 02:50 PM

Re: Looking for advice on flexplate starter alignment

Thank you for that I'll drop the transmission and check it that is what the thought is as the starter being shimmed didn't help
Posted via Mobile Device