The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   roof skin replacement (galvy spray?) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=683695)

chico68 09-28-2015 08:57 PM

roof skin replacement (galvy spray?)

I am preparing to do an inner and outer roof skin replacement, I have sand blasted these parts and was wondering if anyone has tried the galvy spray that's out there. I would like to coat the panels before welding them up as to give them a lot better protection than the factory did (bare steel). I will use weld through primer at the weld areas, but need some feedback on the galvy spray. Thanks Rob P.

special-K 09-29-2015 07:36 AM

Re: roof skin replacement (galvy spray?)

I have used that. I don't know what is galvanized about it, but welding galvanized is bad news. It will burn/melt where you weld. There is a weld through primer you could use in welded areas

drewbert41 09-29-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chico68 (Post 7323107)
I am preparing to do an inner and outer roof skin replacement, I have sand blasted these parts and was wondering if anyone has tried the galvy spray that's out there. I would like to coat the panels before welding them up as to give them a lot better protection than the factory did (bare steel). I will use weld through primer at the weld areas, but need some feedback on the galvy spray. Thanks Rob P.

You have any pics of the inner/outer removal?

cooperhw 09-29-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

How many hours and cost do you think you will have in this inner/outer roof panel replacement. Just wondering. I also had this to do on my 68, including the back of the cab as it was a converted motor home from new. I figure I had about $500 and about 40 hours into the repair. Just wondering how that compares?

chico68 09-29-2015 06:06 PM

I have a couple of pics of the donor roof pieces after I drilled out all the spot welds and separated them, and there are MANY spot welds. I will try to post these and any future pics from the roof project. Well cost wise the donor roof cost $50 from a salvage yard just sawzalled it right off. Time into this so far 5 to 10 min. to cut it off, 1 and 1/2 hours to drill out spot welds and separate the pieces, sandblasting the skins 30 to 45 min. I got lucky I found a donor roof with decent inner and outer skins, they will need some work but at least I have the complete inner skin, since they don't press that complete panel yet.

Taibo 09-29-2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

That galvanized spray contains a lead compound. Not only will it contaminate your welds but it will give off very toxic fumes when you get it hot and lead poisioning is a cumulative poison. It never leaves your body, but if you are serious about trying for a "Darwin Award" have at it!

hugger6933 09-29-2015 07:54 PM

Why not just use some thing say paint? Use weld through about 3 inches pat the pinch welds should be plenty then paint the rest spray can or anything is better than what the General did[nothing]. Jim

swamp rat 09-30-2015 12:31 AM

Weldable primer maybe?

Clavo106 09-30-2015 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugger6933 (Post 7324187)
Why not just use some thing say paint? Use weld through about 3 inches pat the pinch welds should be plenty then paint the rest spray can or anything is better than what the General did[nothing]. Jim

X2 ^ / DO WHAT THIS MAN SAYS :metal:

hugger6933 09-30-2015 07:09 AM

Tell that to my wife and kids. Just kidding:lol:

special-K 09-30-2015 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7323488)
.....There is a weld through primer you could use in welded areas

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugger6933 (Post 7324187)

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7324533)
Weldable primer maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clavo106 (Post 7324546)
X2 ^ / DO WHAT THIS MAN SAYS :metal:

X4 ^ / YEAH! DO WHAT HE SAYS :lol:

swamp rat 09-30-2015 09:29 AM

Eastwood also has a couple products designed to spray into crevasses, its in an aerosol can and has an 18" hose with a nozzle, i believe one is for inclosed frames, the other is for body but ether would work to reach into areas after your done welding.

Shaky 09-30-2015 11:24 AM

We used glue for a good portion of mine. Check the C20 thread in my sigline.