The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   99 chevy 2500 want start (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=684106)

joef2002 10-02-2015 01:27 PM

99 chevy 2500 want start

Ok I need help I took my 99 Chevy with a 5.7 down to get it inspected I live in an emissions county. Ran fine all the way there they pulled it in bay turned it off and hooked up computer for the emission test and it wouldn't start and has not started since. I had a scanner tool hooked up to it and it want read. Is it possible that they shorted something out and where do I need to start looking thanks for any help you can give me..

speedygonzales 10-02-2015 03:00 PM

Re: 99 chevy 2500 want start

Pull the wire from the coil out of the cap and check it to the block for spark. If it has spark pull the cap and look at the inside of the cap and rotor.

I have had that happen to me on at least 2 occasions because the cap and rotor were so corroded it wasn't funny. The last time was last Christmas. On xmas day I parked it. Next day went to leave to relatives and like you, cranks all day long but won't start. Soon as I took the coil wire and checked for spark, I knew it was the cap and rotor AGAIN. Put a new one on and off we went.

BTW don't continue to crank it over if it has poor spark like this. The engine will eventually fire when a few cylinders are over loaded with fuel and will probably kick back and blow the nose cone off the starter. Like mine did when my dumbass friend came over and decided I must not be starting it correctly. So when he cranks it over it backfires and boom.

speedygonzales 10-03-2015 07:03 AM

It's a 50 50 shot it's that or the fuel pump. Check that by cranking the engine over for a very brief moment and then shut it off. With a screw driver and a paper towel, push the center in on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Cover it with a paper towel so you don't take a shower just in case the pressure is OK. If nothing comes out of the schrader valve, the fuel pump is did not come on like it was supposed to.

The next job is to figure out why.

83GMCK2500 10-20-2015 10:14 AM

Are there any lights that stay on in the cluster?

Fullpower 10-27-2015 04:26 PM

1) What is (resting ) battery voltage ? should be 12.5 or above, charge battery if necessary.
With headlights ON, should maintain stable voltage above 12.2 or 12.3 for 5 minutes or so., again, fully charge battery, if necessary.

2) what is fuel level in tank ? Add 5 gallons fresh gasoline to tank, to be certain.
3) at KEY-ON, LISTEN for 3 seconds fuel pump prime, if no fuel pump operation, check fuel pump relay, look for power on pink wire, check 20 amp fuse right next to fuel pump relay. if power is for sure getting TO the pump, try some percussive troubleshooting, WACK the bottom of the tank with a 3 pound deadblow hammer, or a handy oak 4x4. sometimes can buy you a free, final weeks operation from a failing fuel pump.

4) remove air cleaner , check for fuel prime pulse, at KEY-On.
5) check for power at coil with key ON, both coil wires are HOT, one should pulse on-off rapidly while cranking engine.
6) inspect spark plugs, use one of the plugs, IN the plug wire to check for spark when cranking engine.

hatzie 10-29-2015 02:42 PM

Are one or both of the ECM fuses blown?