The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Snap on air compressor (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=719951)

richard2717 10-11-2016 03:43 PM

Snap on air compressor

I have an 80 gallon 2 stage air compressor I bought new from Snap On back in 1986. I thought something broke in the compressor unit because it was tripping the breaker. When I went to look at it originally I could not turn the compressor pulley and instantly got upset seeing big $$$$$ getting ready to be spent. I went back out this afternoon and noticed one of the dual belts had flipped on the pulley. After taking a closer look both belts have gone bad and had jammed up against the pulley cover which was causing it to trip the breaker.

The number on the belt that I can make out says B67 but I cant make out the name. I did a quick google but did not come up with anything. Anybody have a source to get belts from? I want good ones, not the crap I just pulled off. I can't believe they only lasted 30 years :lol: Probably be lucky to get 10 out of the next set.

thanks for any help
Richard

Dieselwrencher 10-11-2016 04:00 PM

Re: Snap on air compressor

Richard, you can probably take the belt off and go to a parts store and match them up with a new belt. My Snap-on 80gal compressor just uses 2 standard "matched" v-belts. I got them at Napa when I replaced mine.

Warrens69GMC 10-11-2016 10:37 PM

Those should be Fractional Horsepower belts, not traditional V-belt. Fractional horsepower belts have a 90* V versus a 60*V on automotive v-belts.

richard2717 10-12-2016 02:55 PM

Thanks guys
not sure why Napa didn't cross my mind. I went in this morning and asked the kid for 2 belts, he said I don't have them here but I can get them. I asked him how long to get them and he said come back after lunch. I just put them on and all is well again on the home front. One of my guys said he thought $39 was high for two belts. I told him to divide it into 30 years and it seemed pretty darn cheap to me.

Dieselwrencher 10-12-2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 7739823)
Those should be Fractional Horsepower belts, not traditional V-belt. Fractional horsepower belts have a 90* V versus a 60*V on automotive v-belts.

Whoops you're correct. I didn't even remember they weren't V belts. Sorry for the bad info.

richard2717 10-13-2016 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7740502)
Whoops you're correct. I didn't even remember they weren't V belts. Sorry for the bad info.

You were Half correct :lol: Napa still got me the correct ones without a whole bunch of running around

thanks Again