The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Shortening Drive By Wire cable (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746189)

davepl 09-07-2017 12:55 PM

Shortening Drive By Wire cable

Friend of mine is installing an LS7 and trying to keep the cables as short as possible. The throttle pedal harness is about 5 feet longer than needed, so rather than coiling it up under the dash, he'd like to shorten it.

They're shielded and GM specifically says "DO NOT MODIFY" but I don't know if that's a liability precaution on their end or a genuine practical concern.

Online it sounds like they're hard to resolder, being high nickel content wires, so better to repin or crimp. I can't find any indications online of people having any problem or interference afterward.

The safe answer is "don't touch it" but I'd feel better if anyone knows WHY.

toolboxchev 09-07-2017 03:08 PM

Re: Shortening Drive By Wire cable

If its would be dealing with cable length GM has it that long for a resistance issue. That of course has crossed your mind.

mongocanfly 09-07-2017 03:49 PM

I've seen the issues brought up about resistance before.. ..I've also seen several builds here where the harness was cut to shorten and/or lengthen wiring...
lm curious what the answer is as well..

ls1nova71 09-07-2017 05:32 PM

I would say its more corporate CYA (cover your ass) than anything. . They don't want to be responsible for anything. I've never had any problems shortening any wires, and would think they would be similar to the LS3 I wired.

mongocanfly 09-07-2017 05:43 PM

good to know ls1nova...I know I want to lengthen my main harness cause I want my ecm under the seat..Im gonna use psi harness and I was told they did custom lengths but when I contacted them they said no customs..

BR3W CITY 09-07-2017 06:16 PM

Its possible, you just need to be cautious. The low voltage reference stuff is very sensitive to changes in resistance. So that needs to be taken into account when considering things like splices, connector types etc. I would not cut and solder in the DBW line anywhere. but shortening and repinning into a factory connector is pretty doable.

indymachinist 09-11-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 8034533)
Its possible, you just need to be cautious. The low voltage reference stuff is very sensitive to changes in resistance. So that needs to be taken into account when considering things like splices, connector types etc. I would not cut and solder in the DBW line anywhere. but shortening and repinning into a factory connector is pretty doable.

^What he said.

If this is to be done, shortening and recrimping a factory terminal on the end is the way to go. No solder, no splices, no but connectors, etc.

87chevy.com 09-17-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indymachinist (Post 8037015)
^What he said.

If this is to be done, shortening and recrimping a factory terminal on the end is the way to go. No solder, no splices, no but connectors, etc.

Couldn't have said it any better... terminals are like probably .25 cents each..