The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Aluminum radiator (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751683)

coldgin 12-02-2017 01:04 AM

Aluminum radiator

It's that time for a new radiator for my 1969 GMC 3/4 ton 4wd....i checked entropy and they told my radiator in my truck is their custom....which cost$550.....nope its not....i know i have the heavy duty one....anybody know where i can get one that will be a direct replacement?i checked Amazon and there is one advertised on there for like $160....and it says it will fit my truck....it is made by prime cooling ....

Jcfcamaro 12-02-2017 02:03 AM

Re: Aluminum radiator

Try engineering cooling products.

leddzepp 12-02-2017 02:52 AM

Champion cooling. CC369 is a direct replacement.

In The Ten Ring 12-02-2017 03:11 AM

I bought a KKS radiator and so far, it seems to be fitting the bill of my 250 I6 very well. It took some trips back and forth from Advance Auto to get the right hoses though.

Rock Auto may still have their Vista Pro 4 row brass and copper unit on closeout. It sits rather high for my truck but I could make it work I think, I ended up getting the KKS also and going with it but I will hang onto the Vista Pro. In fact, I might even get another one and sock that away too.

In time I plan to get my original OEM radiator recored although I know that will be very expensive.

Unless cost is your main hangup, why not get an American company (several on here) custom make you one? You might be able to get one to sit right on the rubber cushions and give you a horizontal filler cap. *I truly dislike the angled ones like my KKS.

weq92f 12-04-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ccas (Post 8096657)
Champion Radiators is a decent quality box welded radiator. However, their 2 and 3 row radiators are inadequate for many higher performance v8's in cars today. You need to go to their 4 radiator for best cooling and that still isn't as good as 2 big rows. Their units are all also fabricated tanks which do not resemble original at all. Fitment is semi-OEM. Because of the fab'd tanks, modifications are often needed for fitment.

I'm all for plugging board sponsors and such but, in support of others, I must say that my Champion 3-Row is looking The Business up next to what it is replacing here in my world. I bought the CC369 with fans. This all aluminum piece of kit is welded, polished aluminum boxes that look very nice. It test fitted nicely down into the factory lower perches and the factory upper mounts fit down on the welds just fine! It's definitely not exactly just like the stock 4 row BB radiator, but it will fit in there no problem. Once I have it all together, I have no doubt it will cool the BB.

Pics available...

-klb

In The Ten Ring 12-04-2017 08:22 PM

The hose fitment problems I had with my KKS radiator were with the hoses fitting on the engine side....those fit the radiator fine. :eek:

I call it the Trump Effect.....even before the election I spoke with my old welding teacher and he said "we needed a new band saw at the college and because of Trump I want to only buy USA made from now on." That motivated me to once I get the truck running to either recore the original radiator or have a custom unit built stateside.

Ccas, I might give you a call. My truck is a 250 six cylinder, dad knocked a hole in the original radiator decades ago and no idea where that is. It had a small radiator in it from a junkyard that worked great but had several leaks sealed up my coolant impurities. I'll try and drop you a line. Mostly I want something to fit the brackets with new rubber (my lower brackets I bolted in so those can be moved and exchanged for 3 row), fit the engine outlets, and with a horizontal cap....I'd also like an overflow outset set to a direction of my choosing. Can you do that?

leddzepp 12-04-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 8096717)
I'm all for plugging board sponsors and such but, in support of others, I must say that my Champion 3-Row is looking The Business up next to what it is replacing here in my world. I bought the CC369 with fans. This all aluminum piece of kit is welded, polished aluminum boxes that look very nice. It test fitted nicely down into the factory lower perches and the factory upper mounts fit down on the welds just fine! It's definitely not exactly just like the stock 4 row BB radiator, but it will fit in there no problem. Once I have it all together, I have no doubt it will cool the BB.

Pics available...

-klb

I have a cc369 in both my 68 and my 72, dropped right in. My 72 is a big block with AC. Been running cool and perfect for several years now. Their warehouse is in Lake Elsinore, about 30 mins from me. I bought them over the counter. They have very good customer service and I will buy one again if the need arises on my other vehicles. I’m not a spokesperson for them, just relaying my real world experience.

In The Ten Ring 12-05-2017 02:59 AM

Oh OK, so you guys aren't exclusively "per order custom" then?

That's OK, most truck owners want the biggest engine they can, obviously they are compensating for something. :lol:

I had a roommate in college that felt "owning a gun was compensating for something." I asked him if he planned to defend himself with the body part he was referring to. :lol:

Can you direct me to those USA makers you are referring to?

weq92f 12-05-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ccas (Post 8096745)
I didn't mean to disrespect the 3 row or Champion all together.
... Hope we're ok. :)

No disrespect given or taken. It's all good, just keeping it real!

-klb

dfwright 12-05-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ccas (Post 8096657)
This post is meant to be read if you have already decided a nice aluminum radiator is the way to go.
We've been a sponsor on these forums for a little over a year now. I'd like to throw our name in there for consideration. :)

I wish I had known about you a year ago. I also have the CC369 radiator in my truck, and it's fine, but I did have to modify the mounts to fit it, in my case. I don't have a big block, but I did have the original heavy-duty radiator. I have nothing bad to say about the champion, and I am happy with it, but a platinum board vendor I could reach out to with questions, who stands behind their product would have been an easy choice for me.

I wish you the best here on the forum!

In The Ten Ring 12-05-2017 07:13 PM

I guess he can't direct me......

coldgin 12-08-2017 10:52 PM

So how much is it for your radiator?

macdaddy70 12-08-2017 11:45 PM

I put a champion 3 row in mine back in the spring. It fits good and truck is running cooler. No issues to date.

MoFormula 12-09-2017 12:43 PM

Just ordered my radiator from CCAS last Thursday. Very attentive and prompt service. It should arrive next week.

coldgin 12-19-2017 03:54 AM

Ordered my radiator friday from engineered cooling products....got it monday afternoon.....

coldgin 12-29-2017 08:52 AM

Well I've been trying to find time to finish installing my radiator....when they say direct fitment i call bull**** all day long....the big thick tanks are alot wider the rubber isolators for the stock radiator.....for anybody needing a radiator i would just go to oreillys and order one....at least you know it will fit

Hotcorner 12-29-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldgin (Post 8116981)
Well I've been trying to find time to finish installing my radiator....when they say direct fitment i call bull**** all day long....the big thick tanks are alot wider the rubber isolators for the stock radiator.....for anybody needing a radiator i would just go to oreillys and order one....at least you know it will fit

Return it, brother!

In The Ten Ring 12-29-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldgin (Post 8116981)

My KKS fit just fine, no lower bracket problems at all. Like I posted above though, I would recore my original (although it is a replacement the original owner got out of a junkyard) or I would have a custom radiator made, one with a horizontal filler cap.

GASoline71 12-29-2017 09:49 PM

I have a Champion 2 row aluminum radiator in my truck. I has large tanks like a 4 row, so I had to use stock 4 row rad mounts and rubber isolators.

My truck has a pretty damn snotty 355 in it, and I rev that thing near 7,000 grand quite often. Stock 180 degree thermostat, and I have not had a single cooling issue to date.

Gary

Z10 01-03-2018 12:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pictures are worth a 1,000 words. A large 2 row is more efficient than a 3 or 4 row radiator. It's counter intuitive.

Some light reading starting at post #2
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...rass-tech.html

I'm personally using an Engineering Cooling Products 2row here in HOT West Texas and after 12k miles and 3 summers it absolutely does the job. Personally tested behind my ZZ4 in 110 degree weather traveling 75mph with the A/C blasting. Good stuff.
:gmc2:

Z10 01-03-2018 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last pick.

mcmlxix 01-03-2018 02:49 AM

I like the Cold Case stamped ends better than the fabricated style...

http://coldcaseradiators.com/images/...ts/gmt558a.jpg

Z10 01-04-2018 01:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is my build utilizing the ECP rad and a custom fabricated shroud utilizing 2003 Pontiac Grand Am fans. You can see more on my build thread. Link in my signature.

:gmc2:

zicc1835 01-04-2018 09:34 AM

good info here when.... i get there ill give Ccas a shot

SparkyRnD 01-04-2018 12:06 PM

We make radiators here in the USA by hand, and we're a board sponsor:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590670