The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Frame cross members (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=758039)

Erics51chevy 02-26-2018 08:14 PM

Frame cross members

So as my build is going along smoothly I'm always thinking of the next thing to do all day long. Most of my frame is boxed and want to make sure the frame is as strong as needed. I still have the original cross members in the frame but people have added more to that. My question and thought is how many cross members are too many? To what point does it just add weight?

For a boosted v8 anyway. Also, i have read that the crossmembers are only important between the two axles.

I was thinking an X under the cab and another X under bed.

mongocanfly 02-26-2018 10:06 PM

Re: Frame cross members

1 Attachment(s)
I assume from your name its a 51?...do you have any pics ?
one brace such as this should be enough if you've got room....

Erics51chevy 02-26-2018 10:20 PM

I could try to replicate something like that. Dont have the best full pictures of the frame right now.

mr48chev 02-26-2018 11:50 PM

there are some kits around for the tube crossmember or No limit sells the pieces to do a pretty serious X member that resembles many in production cars Still unless you have massive torque in the engine and plan to use it hard you probably don't need all that much for normal driving. It's always to be prepared for anything though.

whitedog76 02-27-2018 12:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If you take a look at The Schwartz chassis, it's almost identical to what Mongo posted.

On the other hand, The Art Morrison Chassis is fairly minimal.

Both builders are known for a great product and they've done well on the Pro-touring courses.

idbeast 02-27-2018 08:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8198566)
...No limit sells the pieces to do a pretty serious X member that resembles many in production cars Still unless you have massive torque in the engine and plan to use it hard you probably don't need all that much for normal driving. It's always to be prepared for anything though.

Here's a picture of No Limits...

Erics51chevy 02-27-2018 05:04 PM

I have 2x1.5 square tubing laying around to make X's wherever i can. I will make a driveshaft loop like those built frames. Just have to offset it because my 8.8 rear is offset. Any idea how much a driveshaft typically moves up and down? I dont want the driveshaft to hit the loop. I will have a type of traction bar set up

mongocanfly 02-27-2018 10:24 PM

the closer to the differential ,, the more movement......jack the truck up by the frame and with the tires off the ground ,,measure from the axle to the bump stops. ..that should be your range of movement at the axle....then I'd add a inch or two to the up and down for saftey...