The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Compressor "chirp" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765514)

4oldcars 06-12-2018 02:02 PM

Compressor "chirp"

I have Vintage Air on my truck with about 5k miles (in 5 years) on it. I rarely drive my truck. The compressor (Sanden model S6668) works but started "chirping". I can turn off the a/c and the chirp stops. I checked the belt. Any ideas on what to do other than drive it more?

jessemthompson 06-12-2018 02:20 PM

Re: Compressor "chirp"

I had a similar issue with my ac belt chirping. I could not get it to stop. I did some reading and came upon a product called 303. I picked it up at advance. I conditioned my belt with it about a month ago and the chirp has not came back. It doesn’t gum up a belt like dressing and it will actually help the belt last much longer.

weq92f 06-12-2018 03:08 PM

You could also use a bar of soap to dress the belt(s) as a test.

-klb

4oldcars 06-14-2018 09:03 AM

Thanx - sounds like an easy fix - how unlike what usually happens to me

cleszkie 06-14-2018 06:21 PM

Are you running the correct width belt? If you run a belt that is too narrow, it will go all the way to the bottom of the pulley V-groove, and make contact with the flat bottom of the groove. No amount of tightening of the belt will get rid of the noise now that the belt tension is no longer controlled by the tapered side of the pulley groove on the side of the belt, but rather the flat bottom of belt against flat bottom of groove. I had this issue with a custom built alternator, and swore up and down that the alternator had a bad bearing. Put a wider belt on it that didn't touch the bottom of the pulley groove and it has been silent ever since.

dmjlambert 06-14-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleszkie (Post 8281366)
Are you running the correct width belt? If you run a belt that is too narrow, it will go all the way to the bottom of the pulley V-groove, and make contact with the flat bottom of the groove. No amount of tightening of the belt will get rid of the noise now that the belt tension is no longer controlled by the tapered side of the pulley groove on the side of the belt, but rather the flat bottom of belt against flat bottom of groove. I had this issue with a custom built alternator, and swore up and down that the alternator had a bad bearing. Put a wider belt on it that didn't touch the bottom of the pulley groove and it has been silent ever since.

Hi, what is the manufacturer and part number of the belt that is wider you ended up buying?