The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My K/5 Bikini Top (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765960)

OldCreek 06-20-2018 12:58 AM

My K/5 Bikini Top

4 Attachment(s)
I just wanted to post an example of what I've done. Maybe it will serve as a motivation. It took me years to get around to it!

I took one of robs71k5 fiberglass windshield headers and used it to mount a bikini top. I initially planned to use snap ring connectors but instead used heavy duty velcro tape and sewed it onto the top and taped it to the header. I suppose that if you have a soft topper and Rob's header you could match up the snaps and install one of your own bikinis. If the velcro is not strong enough I will add some snaps but it doesn't appear necessary at this time.

I took water resistant/UV resistant outdoor canvas and UV resistant nylon thread and sewed this up at home with 1" straps. I added some plastic disconnects and a metal strap mount. The strap mount connects to my rear roll bar anchor point. The plastic disconnects allow for tighter tension. I, also, used a couple of strap locks to keep them from loosening. (not pictured)

It needs a little fine tuning but I'm happy.

The ride is much nicer up front. The amount of wind is really cut down. I can drive without sunglasses on now. Before that, there was way too much wind/dust that would get in my eyes. :metal: The shade is nice, too.

OldCreek 06-20-2018 01:06 AM

Re: My K/5 Bikini Top

3 Attachment(s)
A couple more pics:

Rob's header is really solid. The mount points really secure the header.

At 60mph, the wind noise is really not bad at all! The bikini does fill up like a sail, however. I have a couple of small fine tuning projects to add to this bikini to make it even better.

Radiatta_71 06-20-2018 01:43 AM

looks great. let me know how the velcro holds up!

Killer Bee 06-20-2018 02:03 AM

hey look, I don't mind if I'm in the sun in the back seat, but what about the BEER in the back?!

JK, looks great, hope your custom craftsmanship holds up!

chevyguy_72 06-20-2018 11:01 AM

Looks great... good job...

Yukon Jack 06-20-2018 11:09 AM

Nice!

solo72 06-26-2018 12:05 AM

Looks killer!

OldCreek 01-13-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8284968)
hey look, I don't mind if I'm in the sun in the back seat, but what about the BEER in the back?!

JK, looks great, hope your custom craftsmanship holds up!

See the aluminum bed box? Just fill it up with ice and some cold ones! :metal:

OldCreek 01-13-2019 10:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the compliments!

I added a few items:

1. Front strap that connects to the header/windshield frame via that bolt you can see. (I punched a hole in the strap.) This secures the top and keeps it from ballooning so much. It, also, helps pull it tight.

2. Rear roll bar strap. This keeps the flapping down and the ballooning down.

3. Front header to roll bar strap. This keeps the bikini from sagging onto my head after it has stretched from all the ballooning. It's also good to hang stuff on...towels, swim trunks, etc. (I bought those roll bar clamps on eBay.)

GMCNUT 01-16-2019 10:17 AM

Have you considered making these as kits and making money selling them? I am about to buy a 1,000.00+ dollar Softopper in an effort to prevent getting wet seats when we get our very common late afternoon unexpected rain showers during the Summer, but this thing might do the trick too

fun in dirt 01-18-2019 10:34 AM

The added straps are a great idea ... I will probably do something like that on my next bikini top revision ... clean & simple for the win!

PGG 01-18-2019 10:22 PM

Love it wish mine was white. I am wanting to make a hard bikini top out of a damaged hardtop. I did a open side one before (posted somewhere on here) and post it here but it developed some cracks and I am worried if it blew off I would kill someone. I might just cut it after the roll bar now have not decided. PG

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCreek (Post 8284951)
I just wanted to post an example of what I've done. Maybe it will serve as a motivation. It took me years to get around to it!

I took one of robs71k5 fiberglass windshield headers and used it to mount a bikini top. I initially planned to use snap ring connectors but instead used heavy duty velcro tape and sewed it onto the top and taped it to the header. I suppose that if you have a soft topper and Rob's header you could match up the snaps and install one of your own bikinis. If the velcro is not strong enough I will add some snaps but it doesn't appear necessary at this time.

I took water resistant/UV resistant outdoor canvas and UV resistant nylon thread and sewed this up at home with 1" straps. I added some plastic disconnects and a metal strap mount. The strap mount connects to my rear roll bar anchor point. The plastic disconnects allow for tighter tension. I, also, used a couple of strap locks to keep them from loosening. (not pictured)

It needs a little fine tuning but I'm happy.

The ride is much nicer up front. The amount of wind is really cut down. I can drive without sunglasses on now. Before that, there was way too much wind/dust that would get in my eyes. :metal: The shade is nice, too.

OldCreek 01-19-2019 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 8444475)
Have you considered making these as kits and making money selling them? I am about to buy a 1,000.00+ dollar Softopper in an effort to prevent getting wet seats when we get our very common late afternoon unexpected rain showers during the Summer, but this thing might do the trick too

I've thought about it... but my sewing is not all that great and I'd probably need more of an industrial machine. Maybe I could find an upholstery shop and provide them the template.

However, there'd be quite a bit of variance because of the position of people's roll bar, etc.

Besides, for the time spent I'd probably make more per hour at my regular job.

but maybe...