The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Help with rust control (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=780162)

grubsster 01-24-2019 11:16 PM

Help with rust control

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I am looking for some help trying to control the rust on the cab of this truck. Not restoring it right now but want to use it as a work truck. I'm concerned about rust through above the windshield and the drip rail mostly. As of now there are no holes.

Any help is appreciated.

The Rocknrod 01-25-2019 07:49 AM

Re: Help with rust control

When they say rust never sleeps it's true, even clean metal wants to go back home to mama. I've seen guys use CLR on their trucks to start and then clear coat it, but that's for looks. You could start there (CLR) to see what you have, then wire wheel the bad spots till you get white metal. Coat with POR-15 or Rust Bullet and then top coat. That would be a start until your ready to cut the bad metal out and repair the areas. That would obviously be the right thing to do. The other problem is the rust you don't see, like under the window rubber, in the A pillar post and door sill...

rws1012 01-25-2019 03:10 PM

Wonder if he could wire brush the loose rust and then treat with Ospho then a coat of primer or paint that matches the truck? Just a thought.

grubsster 01-25-2019 03:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. I like the ospho idea. I am going to get the windshield replaced and will treat that area then. Any other ideas are appreciated.

joesscamaro 01-26-2019 01:25 PM

For a quick simple temporary fix, I would recommend ospho and some epoxy. Ospho is pretty good stuff.

franken 01-26-2019 04:47 PM

Unless you immerse the part in some product such as Ospho (phosphoric acid), or use a pump to sparay it on to keep the product working for hours, all it will do is turn the surface rust black. You can then sand the area to expose more rust. Fake solution.
The only real solution is to remove the gutter seam sealer, blast the area to clean metal, then prep, paint, seam seal, etc. in the order you prefer.
All other solutions are bandaids that will fail.

WOLFMANmike 01-27-2019 02:48 AM

what about wire wheel the loose rust off and then do a Por15 and fiberglass patch job fallowed up with some primer and then some paint over it i did that to fix my floor board as a temp fix till i can do it right with a new floor pan later when i learn to weld and buy a welder and let me tell you the fiberglass and Por15 kit they have i used its as hard and strong as the metal it self i was very impressed just a thought