The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Where to find plaid vinyl seat material (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=818903)

kitsbeach 02-27-2021 11:42 PM

Where to find plaid vinyl seat material

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all, I've been googling and searching this forum and cannot find a source for vinyl plaid seat material.

Blue interior pictured is from my dark blue 1980 GMC Sierra. I also have a light blue 1977 Chevy that has the same pattern only a lighter blue (also ripped). Maybe its a Canadian thing.?

Attachment 2084694

Brown interior is from Fuel Curve website and says its been "refreshed with new vinyl". He's got the exact same pattern I'm looking for.

Attachment 2084695

Anyone got ideas?

kitsbeach 02-27-2021 11:43 PM

Re: Where to find plaid vinyl seat material

Here's a post from this site from someone who also has this interior:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...56&postcount=3

kitsbeach 02-27-2021 11:44 PM

Here's link to Fuel Curve article (nice truck.!!):

https://www.fuelcurve.com/sam-castronovas-1979-c10/

farmall 02-28-2021 12:50 AM

Try here
https://smsautofabrics.com/pages/about-sms

TKCR 02-28-2021 10:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I’m pretty sure it’s no longer available, even SMS. I’ve had a few people ask me about doing a seat with that pattern. My upholstery guy could not get it. It comes in like 5 different colors. Tan, Blue, Red, Gray and Green. I believe he could get one of them from SMS, but boy is it expensive. What would normally be a $300 and up cover, suddenly becomes a $900 cover because of what they want per yard for the materials. And then of course, the cover being made.
There was someone that had contacted me, that they had some bolts of this fabric. But I passed on it, it’s old and if it hasn’t been stored correctly, it gets dry and brittle.

kitsbeach 04-22-2021 12:55 AM

Thanks for the info TKCR.!

fordguy40 04-22-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitsbeach (Post 8886365)
Hello all, I've been googling and searching this forum and cannot find a source for vinyl plaid seat material.

Blue interior pictured is from my dark blue 1980 GMC Sierra. I also have a light blue 1977 Chevy that has the same pattern only a lighter blue (also ripped). Maybe its a Canadian thing.?

Attachment 2084694

My truck had this same seat. Not being able to find the original material or the foam for the "poor man's bench" forced me to upgrade to a full foam seat with USA1 Ind. upholstery in the correct 1980 blue. If you're not hung up on the truck being factory original, I highly recommend going the upgraded seat route.

EDIT: Could be wrong, but I'm guessing that might be a full foam seat already....I remember what remained of mine being much flatter.

TKCR 04-22-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordguy40 (Post 8911999)
My truck had this same seat. Not being able to find the original material or the foam for the "poor man's bench" forced me to upgrade to a full foam seat with USA1 Ind. upholstery in the correct 1980 blue. If you're not hung up on the truck being factory original, I highly recommend going the upgraded seat route.

EDIT: Could be wrong, but I'm guessing that might be a full foam seat already....I remember what remained of mine being much flatter.

You bring up a good point, that seat does look like a poor mans foam seat.

DeadstockAutoTrim 04-25-2021 10:31 AM

We have a small remnant of this red plaid vinyl at deadstockautovinyl.com it's not enough to do an entire bench seat, but I believe it's enough for some inserts. It's one piece that has 2 sections, one that measures 29"x59" and one that's 18"x33".

Search for 1047 at deadstockautovinyl.com. we also have the brown (5 yards) and green (11 yards) which we dont have listed. PM me if these are of interest or if you have any questions.

You may also be interested in our inventory numbers 1046, 1064, and 1054

Hope this is helpful

old Rusty C10 04-25-2021 01:16 PM

SMS had it a couple of years ago

DeadstockAutoTrim 04-25-2021 01:52 PM

I was mistaken. I was thinking of another thread when I posted and I focused on the wrong pattern, though I did mention it. <derp>

Our inventory number 1046 is the one I should have focused on. We have a little over 2 yards of it.

My apologies for the confusion.

kitsbeach 09-15-2021 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadstockAutoTrim (Post 8913274)
Our inventory number 1046 is the one I should have focused on. We have a little over 2 yards of it.

1046 is the stuff..!! Only I want it in blue.

hatzie 09-15-2021 11:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The 67-72 had some very nice plaid interiors.
Since the original fabric is made of unobtainium you might try photochopping something like this into a picture of your interior.
Maybe try it with the back stripe running all the way up.
Attachment 2131012

Something like this maybe?
Tartan patterns are pretty geometric so you have to be very careful to make the lines run straight or it looks off.
Attachment 2131013

kitsbeach 09-23-2021 12:40 AM

I think I'll just settle for plain blue vinyl. Both of my squarebodies are plain jane, painted bumper models, so plain blue seats will be fine. I just liked the original plaid.

TKCR 09-23-2021 08:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitsbeach (Post 8974889)
I think I'll just settle for plain blue vinyl. Both of my squarebodies are plain jane, painted bumper models, so plain blue seats will be fine. I just liked the original plaid.

Sorry. When original materials are expensive and/or unavailable, that’s the only other option.
Of all the seats I have restored for people, I get a lot of requests for original materials, or leather and such. But after they hear how much the cost is, then they back off that idea.
I’ve done a few Blues, mainly 75-76,(#1 pics). Even the 77-79 Blue(3rd pic) I’m doing for someone, we’ve been waiting on the cover since May. Certain materials are on backorder.
Last 2 pics are the color samples. I used the dye for all the shades of blue, on a spare part, to show the shades differ from one another.