The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Slider Fit Question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820293)

tristan 04-03-2021 07:32 AM

Rear Slider Fit Question

3 Attachment(s)
I had hoped to upgrade to a rear sliding window on my 1971 during the course of its restoration. I found one with tinted glass on EBay and had it refurbished and installed.

Although the window looks fine on the inside of the cab, it is not fitting flush with the gasket or back surface of the cab on the outside. I have only seen pictures of them looking straight on so I don't know if that was normal. What say you? I still have the original Soft Ray non-slider, gasket and trim if I have to revert. I am wondering if the sliders had a different, thicker gasket, or if I got sold one that was for some other model.

Davidf 04-03-2021 08:43 AM

Re: Rear Slider Fit Question

Normal

DeadheadNM 04-03-2021 08:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sliders used an OE style gasket same as glass.

My OE slider sits flush (to the gasket).

special-K 04-03-2021 09:30 AM

Yep, normal. You have two plies of glass in a channel compared to just a single piece of glass. The factory sliders were installed at the factory, post assembly line, on the lot, using the same gasket. All trim levels got the base no trim gasket.

72c20customcamper 04-03-2021 09:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine sits flush

tristan 04-04-2021 08:57 AM

I think I will go back to the fixed rear glass as the window standing proud of the gasket doesn't work for me. Thanks for the opinions and pictures.

Davidf 04-04-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristan (Post 8903535)
I think I will go back to the fixed rear glass as the window standing proud of the gasket doesn't work for me. Thanks for the opinions and pictures.

Eventually, I am going to do the same as I really do not like the factory (aftermarket) sliders...mine rattles as well. Plus, I never use it.

Rich72C10 04-04-2021 11:50 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am interested in getting a slider window - I like the look of them. Currently, I have the SS trim on my fixed glass and it seems that you can keep it when switching out to a slider. Though not how it came from the factory, from what I can tell if you had a fixed glass and switched out to slider, you could keep your SS Trim. So you use the SS Trim rubber to install the slider. That sound about right?

Thought the last thing I want to do is buy/install a rattling slider - that would drive me bananas! Plus I'd want to find the aluminum OEM or like OEM slider (not a black one with that dark tint).

I watched a YouTube on installing a fixed rear - it looked like a PITA and I'd image a slider with trim would be even more of a PITA.

Ol Blue K20 04-04-2021 12:05 PM

My window is aftermarket and sticks out. :metal:

Davidf 04-04-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8903627)
My window is aftermarket and sticks out. :metal:

I thought all the sliders are aftermarket. Like GM hired a glass company to install them in the parking lot after the trucks rolled off the line.

72c20customcamper 04-05-2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8903619)
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am interested in getting a slider window - I like the look of them. Currently, I have the SS trim on my fixed glass and it seems that you can keep it when switching out to a slider. Though not how it came from the factory, from what I can tell if you had a fixed glass and switched out to slider, you could keep your SS Trim. So you use the SS Trim rubber to install the slider. That sound about right?

Thought the last thing I want to do is buy/install a rattling slider - that would drive me bananas! Plus I'd want to find the aluminum OEM or like OEM slider (not a black one with that dark tint).

I watched a YouTube on installing a fixed rear - it looked like a PITA and I'd image a slider with trim would be even more of a PITA.

Not all black trim had dark tints mine is softray .