The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DIY Door Panel - Questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=821431)

Peanut74 05-04-2021 02:12 PM

DIY Door Panel - Questions

3 Attachment(s)
Been doing some searches but can't find the information that I am looking for. I am in the process of building my own door panels. I have the backing panels cut out and sealed them in case water gets on them. My big question is how to hold the panels to the door skin. I have seen where people have used Velcro with what appears to be mixed results. I really don't want to use screws as I would like to hide the fasteners. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Steeveedee 05-04-2021 02:28 PM

Re: DIY Door Panel - Questions

You'd have to drill some holes, but you could use some of those plastic push-in fasteners placed under the upholstery...though I don't see any upholstery, yet. Some door panels also have metal spring clips, which are more easily removed.

A1971Blazer 05-04-2021 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My buddy is an upholstery guy
He uses some kind of spring clip on the panel then he covers it with some kind of thin plastic layer....then the vinyl, or some thin foam, and then the vinyl...
He also uses a PVC foam board on some of his panels...it can be heated and formed.
I can ask him about the clips...he lives next door

Attachment 2099902

Peanut74 05-04-2021 02:45 PM

I have been looking for a double headed Christmas tree fasteners but can't find one that has a 3/16" space between the heads. One of my backup plans was to use a single head Christmas tree fastener. If your buddy's wire clips can work with the 3/16" luan I'm using that would be great.

LS short box 05-04-2021 05:16 PM

I know some guys have used industrial strength velcro. No holes to drill and no clips.

Steeveedee 05-04-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 8916960)
My buddy is an upholstery guy
He uses some kind of spring clip on the panel then he covers it with some kind of thin plastic layer....then the vinyl, or some thin foam, and then the vinyl...
He also uses a PVC foam board on some of his panels...it can be heated and formed.
I can ask him about the clips...he lives next door

Attachment 2099902

That's the metal clip I was thinking of!

HO455 05-04-2021 09:29 PM

I don't have any help for attaching the panels but, I will post this link which may help down the road.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=798102

gferris5 05-05-2021 04:37 PM

Why not rare earth magnets? Use a forstner bit to drill into the back of the piece and hot glue in the magnets and they'd be hidden and super strong, but easy to remove if you need.

dagnabbitt 05-05-2021 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gferris5 (Post 8917362)
Why not rare earth magnets? Use a forstner bit to drill into the back of the piece and hot glue in the magnets and they'd be hidden and super strong, but easy to remove if you need.

^^^

I was just going to suggest this. You can get these from anyplace that makes magnetic nametags if you cannot find them on the internet. Extremely and surprisingly strong.

Peanut74 05-07-2021 09:19 PM

Thanks guys, you gave me some good options to look into. I like the magnet idea as we used that setup to hold gaskets in place on water heater doors. They had oil and grease on the metal and noting would stick to it. Hadn't thought about using then on the door card.

Sorry about the late response as the tornado blew down trees in the neighborhood. Took some time to get them all cleaned up.

Peanut74 05-13-2021 10:31 PM

Well I ordered and received some 1.25" dia by 1/8" thick rare earth magnets. They each are suppose to have 18 pounds each of holding force so I put 5 on the inner panel and 6 on the large panel. Once the epoxy hardens I will put them on the door and see how well they do. :metal: