The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Air Bag's Help - Please (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=823681)

Android04 07-12-2021 05:49 PM

Air Bag's Help - Please

Hello everyone and I want to go ahead and thank you for the help. I have a small issue, and wouldn't mind some suggestions.

I have a 1965 C10 SWB and it's been on air ride for about 4 years. It currently has cupped arms up front with stock upper and lower control arms. Today while doing maintenance and checking things out after a long driving session over the weekend at SETN, I noticed my front bags are rubbing. It looks like they are rubbing while driving and when I air it out.

Currently running Dominator 2600 bags up front and was thinking maybe go with a smaller diameter bag like a Ss5 Bag, but wasn't sure if anyone has used anything else or have used the Ss5 or 6 bag and wanted some suggestions before committing.

I appreciate it everyone.

IIGW 07-12-2021 07:26 PM

Re: Air Bag's Help - Please

smaller bag will ride way stiffer as it takes more PSI to do the same work.
a bag that is rubbing anything is doomed. it MUST be fixed.

post pictures of what is rubbing, and time to get out the hack saw and bubble gum, but it needs to be dealt with asap, or you'll have a hole in the bag.

many times, depending on how the bag is mounted, you can rotate the mounts and since they are offset, will give you adequate clearance. but this is all speculation, since there are no pictures.

lolife99 07-12-2021 09:19 PM

I’ve heard that the re7 or SS7 bags from Slam Specialties don’t balloon as much as the AirLift Dominator bags.

Android04 07-13-2021 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IIGW (Post 8944300)
smaller bag will ride way stiffer as it takes more PSI to do the same work.
a bag that is rubbing anything is doomed. it MUST be fixed.

post pictures of what is rubbing, and time to get out the hack saw and bubble gum, but it needs to be dealt with asap, or you'll have a hole in the bag.

many times, depending on how the bag is mounted, you can rotate the mounts and since they are offset, will give you adequate clearance. but this is all speculation, since there are no pictures.

Agreed which is why I reached out. I've already taken the front end apart so I can get it fixed immediately.

I didn't take pictures but it looks like the bags might of shifted forward in the brackets maybe from a pot hole or something. I mean I have 4,000 miles on the setup and it's nothing but rough roads around here. So I think just to be safe even if a bags shifts I'm going to go with a smaller bag. Maybe a Ss6, or a Ss5. I'm okay with a rougher ride I have ride tech shocks so I'll adjust along with them!

I appreciate the support and reply.

SCOTI 07-14-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android04 (Post 8944937)
Agreed which is why I reached out. I've already taken the front end apart so I can get it fixed immediately.

I didn't take pictures but it looks like the bags might of shifted forward in the brackets maybe from a pot hole or something. I mean I have 4,000 miles on the setup and it's nothing but rough roads around here. So I think just to be safe even if a bags shifts I'm going to go with a smaller bag. Maybe a Ss6, or a Ss5. I'm okay with a rougher ride I have ride tech shocks so I'll adjust along with them!

I appreciate the support and reply.

I get that going to a smaller OD bag is easier but what about new lower arms that don't 'crowd' the bag or the correct size bag that doesn't expand as much? Seem those choices would be better options as far as keeping the current ride quality.

Ziegelsteinfaust 07-14-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8944352)
I’ve heard that the re7 or SS7 bags from Slam Specialties don’t balloon as much as the AirLift Dominator bags.

They barely balloon. A 7 inch bags gets to a 7.25" at the most.