The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Welcome Area (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   New from Alberta Canada (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=824955)

jeff74 08-18-2021 05:44 PM

New from Alberta Canada

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I bought a 1971 C20 this spring, going to put a flat deck on it. I'll be sticking with the rusty farm truck look, this was definitely a farm truck.. fence staples in the glove box and straw under the rubber floor. The guy I bought it from saved it from the scrap yard. :c2:
Has a 350 with 4 speed. Runs good :)

Jeff

The Rocknrod 08-18-2021 07:07 PM

Re: New from Alberta Canada

Great looking truck. Welcome to the forum.

jeff74 08-18-2021 08:11 PM

geezer#99 08-18-2021 08:30 PM

Welcome from the west coast from a former Albertan.
Had cousins lived in Devon in the early 70’s.
A farm truck is supposed to have binder twine hanging from the mirrors, isn’t it!

vetnat 08-18-2021 08:32 PM

Welcome! Nice truck.

jeff74 08-18-2021 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geezer#99 (Post 8959767)
Welcome from the west coast from a former Albertan.
Had cousins lived in Devon in the early 70’s.
A farm truck is supposed to have binder twine hanging from the mirrors, isn’t it!

It did ! I removed it when I swapped out the mirrors for ones with glass in them.. :p

I had to Google Bowser, I had grandparents in Nanaimo, went camping one time at Qualicum. Not too far away

jeff74 08-18-2021 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetnat (Post 8959769)
Welcome! Nice truck.

dagnabbitt 08-19-2021 12:42 PM

Hello from Nisku! More pics, please.

Rubbertiredtramp 08-20-2021 04:43 PM

Those are good looking Alberta plates, I remember when they were that colour. Yeah useable mirrors are a bonus.

jeff74 08-20-2021 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dagnabbitt (Post 8960120)
Hello from Nisku! More pics, please.

Hey there, I'll attach a couple more, she's not much to look at. Will need rockers and cab supports, some fender work. I got a 90s chev bench seat, going with the saddle blanket seat cover. Steering column shortened, also have a source for power steering set up, that's another project.

I had the gears out of the rear end to flush out the axle tubes. Speedi sleeves installed for the axle seals, vent tube installed. Bearings all look good. Found a dent in the driveshaft, so that's been redone and new u joints installed.

I'm a bit hung up on some rear brake issues, I'll start a thread about that

jeff74 08-20-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubbertiredtramp (Post 8960653)
Those are good looking Alberta plates, I remember when they were that colour. Yeah useable mirrors are a bonus.

It was dumb luck I just happened to have a 1971 plate (my neighbor gave me stack) and it's almost the right color:)

dagnabbitt 08-21-2021 08:43 PM

Pretty sweet truck, I now have two C20s, I think they are cool. I see you also have an uncommon coil spring version. That surface rust makes for good patina, will clean up nice.

gmtech68 08-22-2021 02:47 PM

Also from Devon. I have worked on these trucks since the early 80's. Welcome!

kitsbeach 08-22-2021 09:37 PM

I had a coil spring 3/4 ton too. A ‘72 GMC. It does seem to be a less common combo (a lot of GMC’s in Canada seem to have come with leafs).

Welcome to the board there’s a few canucks on here.!

jeff74 08-23-2021 03:53 PM

Thanks everyone, and it's good to have some local guys on here. :)

LT7A 12-17-2021 04:33 PM

Cool truck, that thing is all business. If you haven't already, it'd be cool if you started to build thread so we can watch your progress on it. Welcome!

jeff74 12-22-2021 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9007941)
Cool truck, that thing is all business. If you haven't already, it'd be cool if you started to feel thread so we can watch her progress on it. Welcome!

Thanks, yeah I will start a build thread at some point. I brought the instrument panel and both inner and outer heater boxes in for the winter so I can do a bit of refurb. Progress has been slow, otherwise

LT7A 12-22-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff74 (Post 9009673)
Thanks, yeah I will start a build thread at some point. I brought the instrument panel and both inner and outer heater boxes in for the winter so I can do a bit of refurb. Progress has been slow, otherwise

Cool. Clearly I neglected to proofread my post, haha. Definitely should be build thread, not feel thread - that sounds kind of awkward. And "her" should have been "your". I'm glad you were able to correctly interpret my speech to text errors.

jeff74 12-22-2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9009956)
Cool. Clearly I neglected to proofread my post, haha. Definitely should be build thread, not feel thread - that sounds kind of awkward. And "her" should have been "your". I'm glad you were able to correctly interpret my speech to text errors.

Saul Good. I got the jist of it :)

MikeandCheryl 01-16-2022 09:24 PM

Welcome from the Wet coast.
Liking the green colour - same as our K10.
Curious on how you will deal with the rusty floors, supports and door sills and such. I am on the same page for these. Also, wondering about the area above the front window - some rust in mine, perhaps yours too? I'll watch for photos.
Also, parts supply from above the border. I have a catalogue for one in Alberta, but i'm not at the buying stage yet, still filling the garage with parts.
Good luck - throw a picture on here from time to time.

jeff74 01-19-2022 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandCheryl (Post 9020339)
Welcome from the Wet coast.
Liking the green colour - same as our K10.
Curious on how you will deal with the rusty floors, supports and door sills and such. I am on the same page for these. Also, wondering about the area above the front window - some rust in mine, perhaps yours too? I'll watch for photos.
Also, parts supply from above the border. I have a catalogue for one in Alberta, but i'm not at the buying stage yet, still filling the garage with parts.
Good luck - throw a picture on here from time to time.

Hi, I'm not sure how I'll deal with the body work either... :) I got some tips from a local guy, but it will be my first time cutting and welding in patches.
I'm going to drive down to Scott's in the spring, for a windshield and surround, and some patch panels, I've never been, their prices seem decent. I think there's a little bit of rust in the top drivers side of the windshield frame, but I haven't fully investigated.
Good luck with your project, too.

MikeandCheryl 01-27-2022 10:35 PM

Same.
I'm a novice in the bodyshop, perhaps not too bad in the machine shop, but this one will test all my skill.
taking this apart, it's way bigger than i thought. more parts needing attention, most needing upgrade. Engine unknown, but it runs. Drive train well used. We shall see how deep into the money pit we need to go. Cheers. Post a build if you can - it's good for motivation for us on the outside.