The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Moog Front Springs (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=835248)

nightmare 06-09-2022 02:29 PM

Moog Front Springs

So I saw the thread about 6082 vs 6102 for the front springs, but that talks about the trucks. What about for the burbs? Need to replace mine, am getting the Moog 6101 for the rear. Thoughts?

nightmare 06-11-2022 07:36 AM

Re: Moog Front Springs

Nobody has replaced the front springs with either of these?

HO455 06-12-2022 01:27 PM

I believe we need some more information on your truck and your intentions. Things like tire sizes. Are looking for it to sit flat or raked? Lowered, factory or, lifted?

As far as Suburbans vs trucks the biggest difference in spring rates from the factory would be in the rear. The weight on the front wheels of a Suburban isn't much different than a pick-up but, the rear axle carries five to eight hundred pounds more than a pick-up (Both with no cargo or passengers.)

My opinion is that front spring recommendations from a pick-up will be reasonably acceptable for a Burban. As long as it is apples to apples. In other words if you have a BBC TH400 with A/C and buddy buckets in your Burban, spring recommendations from a 250 3 speed manual short box stripper truck won't be very applicable.

I hope this helps.

nightmare 06-12-2022 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9090026)
I believe we need some more information on your truck and your intentions. Things like tire sizes. Are looking for it to sit flat or raked? Lowered, factory or, lifted?

As far as Suburbans vs trucks the biggest difference in spring rates from the factory would be in the rear. The weight on the front wheels of a Suburban isn't much different than a pick-up but, the rear axle carries five to eight hundred pounds more than a pick-up (Both with no cargo or passengers.)

My opinion is that front spring recommendations from a pick-up will be reasonably acceptable for a Burban. As long as it is apples to apples. In other words if you have a BBC TH400 with A/C and buddy buckets in your Burban, spring recommendations from a 250 3 speed manual short box stripper truck won't be very applicable.

I hope this helps.

Fair enough. It does help. I guess I just figured that most 2wd suburbans, being heavier, would distribute that weight across all springs, not just the rear.

For right now, it has a (non-stock) 307 with a th350. Plans were originally to go with a 5.3l and 4l60e, but may end up going with a 454 and 700r4. I know, 2 totally different weights between them. I'm also not sure if I've got the heavy half front suspension that some of the 72 suburbans got, but I know I need to rebuild the front end too.

I also mic'd the springs that are on there. Show to be .775 wire diameter, so closer to the 6452 springs than either of these.

Thanks again for responding.