The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   not a chevy but.. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=835525)

old Rusty C10 06-18-2022 04:51 PM

not a chevy but..

3 Attachment(s)
i already posted about this on GD but i figure im gonna do a thread here as i no longer am allowed on facebook..back story is i have a 69 fury i was building and i was looking for parts etc when i came upon this car. When i was a kid my dad had this exact car so i kinda had to buy it. It was the first and only car he ever drove after getting his license late in life. the plans are to do a restore and drive it and its staying the original green, just like dads

Warrens69GMC 06-18-2022 05:07 PM

Re: not a chevy but..

1 Attachment(s)
Have it emulate the 1970 chrysler 300

mongocanfly 06-18-2022 07:34 PM

to kinda answer the question you asked in gd about cleaning... theres a local detail shop here close by..and if you want the immaculate detail , what he does is pull all the interior out..he hangs up the carpet and pressure washes it..not sure what cleaning products he uses,, he also takes the covers off the seats and does the same... they come back looking ,and smelling, brand new..at least as new as they can be...it usually takes him about a week to do one

FleetsidePaul 06-18-2022 10:35 PM

That's a cool car Bob. My neighbor had one when I was a kid. Same color. I loved that car.

I know the old joke is " That'll buff out' But in this case I think it really will.

Is it a 383?

old Rusty C10 06-20-2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9092210)
That's a cool car Bob. My neighbor had one when I was a kid. Same color. I loved that car.

I know the old joke is " That'll buff out' But in this case I think it really will.

Is it a 383?

the story of the car is the old owner passed away.He was the original owner. In 1978 he was involved in an accident in which he was intoxicated. that was when the door and front fender was replaced. Looking at the a pillar he was hit t bone. He fixed the car as you see it and proceeded to have a second intoxicating moment , hence the damage to the fender extension on the same side. I was told he then stored the car in a block garage since 1978. It was allegedly on jack stands until the mopar guy i got it from bought it about a month ago. Allegedly there was alot of junk on it and in it. I personally found a bunch of coll stuff including two old cameras which still had 126 kodak film in it, newsapers from 1972 and one of those old baskin robbins ice cream freezer bags from the late eighties early nineties.
In any event i changed the plugs cap rotor and wires and it cranks. points are bad most likely as still no spark but the coil is good 14v . The thing though is the oil looks like there is fine metal shavings in it so looks like i am doing a motor and trans ( trans leaks). Luckilly i have a 1969 drivetrain that should bolt in and is a fresh rebuild

fun in dirt 06-20-2022 11:09 AM

That should clean up good! My 2 cents...
Exterior: Spray it down with Awesome (from Dollar General) or 409, Simple Green let it sit for a few minutes & hand wash with Dawn. Then buff, wax or whatever extra you want to do.
Interior: Doors open, vacuum out & use Tuff Stuff on nasty carpet spots.
On seats/dash/doors - wipe all down with Clorox wipes, dry off damp areas, go back with Mr Clean Magic Eraser (these things are amazing & have cleaned up white, moldy boat seats to near perfection for me) on nasty spots, finish with vinyl protectant of your choice.
Good luck & show us those cleaned up pics!

Palf70Step 06-20-2022 11:32 AM

Looking forward to watching this one get done up.

FleetsidePaul 06-20-2022 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun in dirt (Post 9092739)
That should clean up good! My 2 cents...
Exterior: Spray it down with Awesome (from Dollar General) !

I've used Awesome. Works great and it's cheap.

I'm no body man but did you ever consider wet sanding the crud off? That might work. :confused:

I know that's a lot of elbow grease. But it might work. Might not. I'd try it.

And my 2 cent flea bitten opinion. The car needs whitewall tires. Certain cars need whitewall's. JMHO. My Cadillac needed tires and they tried to sell me me blackwalls. No way. If you run custom rims that's a different story.

yuccales 06-21-2022 07:49 AM

Can't wait.

Russell Ashley 06-28-2022 03:47 PM

I like builds like this. We all like trucks but something unusual like this is more interesting to me. Keep us up to date on your progress, and I vote yes on the whitewalls. BTW, what is GD?

FleetsidePaul 06-30-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 9095705)
BTW, what is GD?

General discussion.