The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ignition switch not straight (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=837641)

Bunky 08-27-2022 04:46 PM

Ignition switch not straight

1 Attachment(s)
When I got my 67 GMC the ignition switch was just sitting in the hole in the dash, so I bought the spacer and the bezel and put it back in the dash, my issue is the key isn't straight up and down in the off position...

LockDoc 08-27-2022 06:33 PM

Re: Ignition switch not straight

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunky (Post 9117495)
When I got my 67 GMC the ignition switch was just sitting in the hole in the dash, so I bought the spacer and the bezel and put it back in the dash, my issue is the key isn't straight up and down in the off position...

There should be one or more notches in the hole in the dash and one or more small tabs on the edge of the spacer that fit into those notches They are pretty small so you will have to look closely to see them. Line those up with the key hole in the correct position and screw the bezel in.

LockDoc

Bunky 08-27-2022 06:41 PM

Thanks LockDock
I was pretty sure I had lined up the notches on the spacer and dash, but will double check I questioned the spacer being made wrong. I will double check and to see what is happening
Thanks

Bunky 08-27-2022 08:51 PM

Ok so I went out and took the cylinder out and removed the switch from the dash. All (3) three tabs were in the notches, so I rotated the switch and then the key was at 3 o'clock position. So I put it back in and still is not straight up and down..

So as I'm watching the video on removing the tumbler he states the 67 will not have ACC position, Mine does. Do I have the wrong switch ??

LockDoc 08-27-2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunky (Post 9117581)
Ok so I went out and took the cylinder out and removed the switch from the dash. All (3) three tabs were in the notches, so I rotated the switch and then the key was at 3 o'clock position. So I put it back in and still is not straight up and down..

So as I'm watching the video on removing the tumbler he states the 67 will not have ACC position, Mine does. Do I have the wrong switch ??

Your switch may have been replaced with a later switch but if you have the '67 only spacer and bezel it should still install correctly. The notches in the key will be down and the poke hole to release the lock cylinder will be at the 2 o'clock position with the key removed.

EDIT: I rotated your picture. It almost looks like you are removing your key in the accessory position. If you turn the key so it is straight up and down can you easily remove it?

LockDoc

Bunky 08-28-2022 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9117622)
Your switch may have been replaced with a later switch but if you have the '67 only spacer and bezel it should still install correctly. The notches in the key will be down and the poke hole to release the lock cylinder will be at the 2 o'clock position with the key removed.

EDIT: I rotated your picture. It almost looks like you are removing your key in the accessory position. If you turn the key so it is straight up and down can you easily remove it?

LockDoc

From that position the key comes out easy and if I turn it to the left the generator light comes on and I'm assuming that's ACC . And to the right the other other dash lights come on as well...is it possible I need the 68 and up spacer and bezel?

Someone have pictures of the 2 dash holes ?

cj847 08-28-2022 09:57 AM

That bezel does not look like either a 67 nor the 69-72.

Edit: it may be the angle of the pic.

The holes are COMPLETELY different. So, it won't come close to fitting if it is wrong.

LockDoc 08-28-2022 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj847 (Post 9117777)
That bezel does not look like either a 67 nor the 69-72.

Edit: it may be the angle of the pic.

The holes are COMPLETELY different. So, it won't come close to fitting if it is wrong.

I think it is the angle and the reflections that make it look that way. Nothing else would fit it.

LockDoc

Bunky 08-28-2022 05:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok so hear are pictures of my switch, spacer and bezel. I think my spacer is made wrong and the pin on the bottom should be in line with the flat not of set....

LockDoc 08-28-2022 07:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
-
Looks like it. Here are pictures of mine.

I don't see your spring loaded pin in the ignition switch on yours. You can see the brass pin in mine. Is yours gone or just dark colored?

LockDoc

Bunky 08-28-2022 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9117970)
-
Looks like it. Here are pictures of mine.

I don't see your spring loaded pin in the ignition switch on yours. You can see the brass pin in mine. Is yours gone or just dark colored?

LockDoc

I have a spring in there not sure why it's not showing. The other thing I see from the pictures is the spacer in your pictures are oriented different then mine the bottom tab on yours is to the right of the flat and mine is to the left I guess I better send mine back .

LockDoc 08-28-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunky (Post 9117972)
I have a spring in there not sure why it's not showing. The other thing I see from the pictures is the spacer in your pictures are oriented different then mine the bottom tab on yours is to the right of the flat and mine is to the left I guess I better send mine back .

The spring and pin should stick up just like mine does.

Copy my picture and send to them and tell them it needs to look like this.... :)

LockDoc

Bunky 08-28-2022 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9117974)
The spring and pin should stick up just like mine does.

Copy my picture and send to them and tell them it needs to look like this.... :)

LockDoc

I just went and looked the brass piece fell out when taking pictures...I put it back in all good there and yes I will send them the pictures.

Thanks everyone.

LockDoc 08-28-2022 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunky (Post 9117976)
I just went and looked the brass piece fell out when taking pictures...I put it back in all good there and yes I will send them the pictures.

Thanks everyone.

Let us know what happens.....

LockDoc

Bunky 08-31-2022 09:58 AM

Ok so just a little update I sent my spacer back and the vendor said there's were all like that one. So I contacted some other vendors who also said there's was like the one I had and some got there stock from that same supplier..

So I have a different spacer on the way from a salvage yard hopefully it's correct..

But after researching this issue. I question of there's not ignition switches that are clocked different over the years ?

My truck is a 67 but has the accessory option, are the spacers for the 68-72 clocked different?

LockDoc 08-31-2022 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunky (Post 9118934)
Ok so just a little update I sent my spacer back and the vendor said there's were all like that one. So I contacted some other vendors who also said there's was like the one I had and some got there stock from that same supplier..

So I have a different spacer on the way from a salvage yard hopefully it's correct..

But after researching this issue. I question of there's not ignition switches that are clocked different over the years ?

My truck is a 67 but has the accessory option, are the spacers for the 68-72 clocked different?

I have quite a few used switches. I will check them in a bit.

LockDoc

LockDoc 08-31-2022 12:24 PM

--
OK, I have 15 switches in the basement and at least 3 out in the shop, probably more but I got tired of looking. They cover all years including '67.... and they are all exactly the same, so I think you are going the wrong direction there.

The spacer I posted above is an original spacer with the part number on it so that would be the correct spacer. It wouldn't be the first time an aftermarket part was made wrong....

LockDoc

Bunky 08-31-2022 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9118973)
--
OK, I have 15 switches in the basement and at least 3 out in the shop, probably more but I got tired of looking. They cover all years including '67.... and they are all exactly the same, so I think you are going the wrong direction there.

The spacer I posted above is an original spacer with the part number on it so that would be the correct spacer. It wouldn't be the first time an aftermarket part was made wrong....

LockDoc

Well I guess that blows that theory out the window. Thanks for confirming that's for me

michael bustamante 08-31-2022 03:16 PM

i have to agree that that chrome bezel does not look correct for 67 chevy or gmc either (possiblle universal type?)
that could be the reason for the crooked setting as well

LockDoc 08-31-2022 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael bustamante (Post 9119017)
i have to agree that that chrome bezel does not look correct for 67 chevy or gmc either (possiblle universal type?)
that could be the reason for the crooked setting as well

Like I mentioned before, because of the depth I don't think anything else would fit it. The chrome bezel doesn't affect how the switch fits in the dash, just the spacer.

LockDoc

LockDoc 08-31-2022 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunky (Post 9118934)

Let us know how you come out with the salvage yard spacer....

LockDoc

Bunky 09-01-2022 06:56 AM

Haven't received the salvage yard part yet. But did get this response from a supplier and makes sense ..

Anyone selling those incorrect versions are using a Counter Parts supplied part our warehouse manager stated. He knows this because when multiple manufacturers make a part we bring in the parts from each manufacturer to check for correctness, fit and finish and when he checked our inventory from our supplier he also checked our junk pile of parts from manufacturers we do not use for this spacer and saw that the CounterParts brand matched the incorrect version you have.

Bunky 09-02-2022 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So the salvage yard one came today. Looks correct.

Thanks for all your help.

HO455 09-02-2022 03:33 PM

Could you post a picture of the two side by side.
Hopefully I'm not too late.
Thanks in advance.

Bunky 09-02-2022 04:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the 2 different ones. The location of the pins is the issue