The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Is patina still in? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=839833)

65truckowner 11-19-2022 10:54 AM

Is patina still in?

Just wondering if patina 1960-1966 c10s are still in?

Chevy Fleetside 11-19-2022 11:52 AM

Re: Is patina still in?

1 Attachment(s)
I always get compliments When I take this out. :metal:

special-K 11-19-2022 11:56 AM

I guess both patina and paint will always be in

kxmotox247 11-19-2022 12:30 PM

I think you're right. I like paint with shine but am currently building a patina'd 1960 for a customer. It contradicts everything I would normally do but he's the boss. Preserving 'the look' is actually costing him considerably more money in the long run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9146070)
I guess both patina and paint will always be in

Arne 11-19-2022 01:01 PM

As someone who restores or refreshes projects strictly to sell when done (so that I can move on to the next one, it's my retirement hobby), I can see doing it either way. Different target audience, but there are buyers for either style.

That said, I'm as picky about my patina as I am about paint. And I rarely find what I consider to be good patina candidates, so most everything I do ends up with fresh paint and all that.

In my current case, the patina train left the station long before I bought it as a stalled project. This was what it already looked like when I picked it up...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...C_1200x900.jpg

kxmotox247 11-19-2022 01:30 PM

Looks great. I agree with you.

I hate rust. Not being able to blast and remove all of the rust makes me cringe. That's my biggest problem with preserving patina. Along with all of the beautiful patina came a lot of rust that needed to be removed. You can see plenty of pictures in another active thread below this one where I had to replace the floor. I bet I spent 3-4 days stripping rust. 1 day at the blaster and I could have had the whole thing in epoxy and not had the fear that the rust was going to come back out of the pits. But the blaster was not an option.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830891

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arne (Post 9146089)
As someone who restores or refreshes projects strictly to sell when done (so that I can move on to the next one, it's my retirement hobby), I can see doing it either way. Different target audience, but there are buyers for either style.

That said, I'm as picky about my patina as I am about paint. And I rarely find what I consider to be good patina candidates, so most everything I do ends up with fresh paint and all that.

In my current case, the patina train left the station long before I bought it as a stalled project. This was what it already looked like when I picked it up...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...C_1200x900.jpg

Braunschweiger 11-19-2022 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I would have liked to have had one with a patina that told about his life.
My truck had no patina, it was just primed and completely rusted,
now it's getting a new life and starting over I think.

AcampoDave 11-19-2022 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not in my case. I think there a fine line between tasteful and junky. My longbed definitely crossed that line.

AcampoDave 11-19-2022 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But my shortbed did not, so I left it for a long time. Eventually though, I grew tired of having the "Shady Oaks" truck and repainted it.

bsarts 11-19-2022 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 9146153)
Not in my case. I think there a fine line between tasteful and junky. My longbed definitely crossed that line.

Well I think she's JUST beautiful!

65truckowner 11-19-2022 08:59 PM

Here is one I built.https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...01a66537_c.jpgIMG_5800 by Daniel Crymes, on Flickr

cwcarpenter98 11-19-2022 11:14 PM

I completely agree with what Tim (special-K) said.

The original paint, patina trucks with all the original sheet metal is the type of patina I like best. When it's all one color is great too.

I'm not a huge fan of the patina on my 63 because it's been pieced together from several different trucks to get less rusty panels. If it was all one color, I probably wouldn't do a full repaint

kxmotox247 11-19-2022 11:28 PM

What I learned by reading this site is that the 60' I'm working on has two different colors of primer under the original paint. The doors and cab have a red oxide primer under the blue. The rest of the truck has black primer under the original blue paint. This apparently was the way it was at Chevrolet.

That really threw me a curve ball thinking someone had done a cab swap or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 9146288)
I completely agree with what Tim (special-K) said.

The original paint, patina trucks with all the original sheet metal is the type of patina I like best. When it's all one color is great too.

I'm not a huge fan of the patina on my 63 because it's been pieced together from several different trucks to get less rusty panels. If it was all one color, I probably wouldn't do a full repaint

cwcarpenter98 11-19-2022 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kxmotox247 (Post 9146294)
What I learned by reading this site is that the 60' I'm working on has two different colors of primer under the original paint. The doors and cab have a red oxide primer under the blue. The rest of the truck has black primer under the original blue paint. This apparently was the way it was at Chevrolet.

That really threw me a curve ball thinking someone had done a cab swap or something.

Yup, that's how all the 60-66 trucks were. Makes it real easy to tell if a "patina" truck has original paint or not. I think I still have some original paint on my cab, passenger door, and passenger fender, but that's about it :lol:

HD-Torsten 11-20-2022 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love patina

Paul Y 11-20-2022 06:34 AM

After having several cars with 'High Dollar" paint jobs the reduction in stress by having something that is not perfect is rather refreshing.

Plus I am poor.

P. :D

60-66 11-20-2022 11:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Patina will always be in . Good paint jobs are not always in the budget. For me though, original paint is a must. Fake patina can go away

pdxhall 11-20-2022 12:31 PM

I like an original paint with just a little patina. If there is any RUST it should be dealt with. As they say, rust never sleeps. On the other hand, a nice paint job has gotten outrageously expensive, especially if any body work is wanted. I am going for a nice paint job. I've spent too much money and time at this point. I'm trying to get the truck as ready as possible with what skills I have before I get the job done.

RDrancher 11-20-2022 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60-66 (Post 9146475)
Patina will always be in . Good paint jobs are not always in the budget. For me though, original paint is a must. Fake patina can go away

That truck literally just changed my mind on keeping mine 6 lug

Braunschweiger 11-21-2022 03:23 AM

Having a truck like this with the original paintwork is a completely different task, keeping it running and in good condition.

60-66 11-21-2022 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDrancher (Post 9146632)
That truck literally just changed my mind on keeping mine 6 lug

I like my 6 lug trucks as well . But this one is 5 lug in order to fit a set of original 1960s Torque Thrust Ds I had stashed for many years .

SCOTI 11-21-2022 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-k (Post 9146070)
i guess both patina and paint will always be in

^^ this ^^

theastronaut 11-21-2022 03:39 PM

Original paint will always be in demand, which usually comes with some level of patina/wear. You just can't replicate original once it's been lost.

There has always been a line between more worn original paint with patina/spots of surface rust and neglected rust covered trucks... but where people draw the line between the two is always a hot debate. The rad rod fad made heavy rust covered trucks popular but that seems to have faded away a bit.

forestb 11-21-2022 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65truckowner (Post 9146049)
Just wondering if patina 1960-1966 c10s are still in?

I still want Patina but the younger generation of truck enthusiasts might not like it. I Just want one so that I don't have to take care of it. I feel like the same thing is happening with laying frame. Now everyone wants auto cross.

kxmotox247 11-21-2022 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forestb (Post 9146936)
I still want Patina but the younger generation of truck enthusiasts might not like it. I Just want one so that I don't have to take care of it. I feel like the same thing is happening with laying frame. Now everyone wants auto cross.

I can't see myself owning a truck that lays frame. That being said I am building a 68' with a No-limit chassis. I think the desire to have a truck that handles better than the original will always be a thing.