The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Rear Suspension lift ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=89154)

MikeH 02-06-2004 12:26 PM

Rear Suspension lift ?

Hello;

I just replaced the old tired-out springs and shocks on my '71 with brand new Rancho rs9000 shocks and skyjacker softrides front and rear. Much nicer ride than the old springs and shocks. However, the front-to-back rake of the truck is now such that the front is higher than the back, don't have any exact measurements but it appears to be ~2" higher or so.

What would be the recommended way to raise the rear up so I have a slight rake? A rear block and u-bolt kit?

Thanks

LT 72 Jimmy 02-06-2004 01:07 PM

I'd go with a 2 or 3 inch block

smokekiki 02-06-2004 01:59 PM

Park it on the flat and get a good measurement.If an inch or lessyou could use a zero rate from off road design.I wouldn't go with add a leafs.http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm

bouncytruck 02-06-2004 02:12 PM

Get some zero-rates. Echobit.com used to sell them, but it looks like they have had some web site issues. I'm not sure where you get them now.

Zero Rates are small "wedges" that correct the postion of the rear axel on a lifted first Gen (center it in the wheel well) and level the truck.

MikeH 02-06-2004 05:08 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas. I'll go do some measurements and try the zero-rates if I'm within an inch or so. If not, I'll do the appropriate size blocks.

bouncytruck 02-06-2004 06:00 PM

Also consider a shackle flip...

LeRoy 02-08-2004 10:54 PM

Offroad Design has the zero rates. I think the shackle reversal would net to much lift. Supposed to be around 4" or so. If you need more then 1" lift you could also add a block. The zero rates bolt to the spring so you can double if wanted. One other thing I've done was double up on the overload springs. On average the overload is 3/4" think so with a zero rate you could get 1 3/4" lift without effecting the ride

mister.freeze 02-11-2004 03:14 PM

fyi

2" in the rear makes any Blazer look level. The rear fenders are cut differently than the front for wheel travel in the front. My 79 and 72 both go 4" in the rear to look "right."

MikeH 02-11-2004 04:31 PM

You're not gonna believe this...

Ok, did the measurements and I think 2 - 2.5" will make it level. BUT and this is the part that su_ks.. I got to looking at my garage door and realized that my roof will be almost hitting the garage door with that much lift in back! Geezzz... Running 33" tires...

The new springs lifted the truck anyway so I have less clearance.
So... A question is... is there a way to drop the front to achieve the rake angle and leave the rear as is??

Worst case I think can do a rear 2 - 2.5" lift and clear -- barely...

mister.freeze 02-11-2004 04:36 PM

EASY DROP

You can mount the front leaf springs UNDER the axle. This should drop you close to 4" though, but shouldn't need anything more than a few hours of elbow grease. A less extreme drop would be to remove a leaf. That will make the front a bis softer, and should sag to where you want it.

bouncytruck 02-11-2004 05:53 PM

LeRoy - thanks for clearing me up on the zerorates. I though I was going crazy when I couldn't find them on the web site. I guess it helps to have the right web site.

MikeH - Your lucky your truck fits in the garage! Mine doesn't! You could go with some air bags and lower it down to fit it in the garage... :)

72addict 02-15-2004 06:49 AM

Mikeh

Sounds like your truck is crying for a big block. That will bring the front down a couple inches. It will take your wallet down too. LOL

MikeH 02-15-2004 12:16 PM

yep that would do it...

-72addict :

Yeah a big-block would do it - to both me and my wallet. The garage is a big deal here at 7500 ft in the Rockies cause it's butt-ass cold in the winter..

Decided i'll remove a leaf from the front, play with the shock adjustments and add a one zero-rate to the rear, should get it to a respectable rake and fit in the garage. thanks all!