View Single Post
Old 11-25-2004, 09:50 AM   #9
-Greg72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RestoRod
Hey Greg! Got your snow tires on yet?

Pound41's description is right on. Don't cut it open! If your tailgate is anything like mine was, you may have to replace the wording 'unscrew' with 'drill out' !!

Hey Doug!

I hate to say it, but the '72 is going to have to pull "winter duty" this year and suffer the ravages of the salted roads....I don't have anything else to drive, so in the spring there will be even MORE rust to repair.

I have been spending a lot of time working on the "driveability" of the K5, and surprisingly it has a pretty nice highway ride these days. One of the things that continues to bother me is the small rattles from the tailgate area when driving on the street. At first I thought it was the exterior latches / rubber tailgate bumpers, but now I'm convinced that it's the hardware INSIDE the tailgate that's rattling around. I was considering replacing the rods in there with something a little more precise, like miniature heims and threaded rod...so that I could "dial out" the slop in the handle and latches. I'd also love to line the interior of that tailgate with about 3 layers of Dynamat to get rid of the tin can sound and give it a more "substantial" feel when I open and close it.

That type of project will require that I cut it apart and then create a removeable panel (like the later K5s) which might not be a bad thing. I'd also like to relocate the release to the inside of the truck to improve security a bit. I can lock the hatch, but without the "shin buster" on the tailgate, obviously it's still quite easy to simply drop the tailgate down.....locked or not.
-Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote