View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 11:23 PM   #15
Chris H
72 C30 Trailer Queen

TX,
You will obviously want the 4.10 ratio if you plan on going over 55 mph. My 68 C30 Motorhome came with 5.14 stock, and I drove it home 400 miles that way. Probably why it has 28k original miles...

I have done some eaton swapping, and here is what I observed:
The H072 and H052 center sections interchange freely. Some center sections have a pinion load bolt (supposedly to prevent pinion deflection). I haven't figured out the exact particulars, but all the C30 dually rears I have seen have the load bolt. I have had H052 centers with the load bolt? The one currently in my motorhome is a 72 4.10 with the factory locker and a load bolt.
I haven't had to deal with brakes, but...

I have a 1987 GMC C30 parts truck that was a cab/chassis (not a truck with a dually bed). The rear leaf spring spacing is exactly the same as the 72 C30 in my avatar. The total width of both rear ends is very similar if not identical. It looks like the driveshaft will bolt up with no modification. My 72 came without shocks, so that is not an issue, but the only difference I see is the shock mounts which you could easily fix. The 87 also has a load controlled rear brake porportioning gizmo, which I may or may not adapt?
So what I am trying to say here is... my 72 is going to get a 1987 14 bolt FF dually rear. More selection of gear ratios, easy to find (and cheaper) parts... you get the picture. For the 1967-1970 C30 guys, it is also a fairly easy way to upgrade to the bigger wheel studs and "standard" dually wheels.

Have any of the "6 wheelers" on this board used a 73-87 dually rear?

Chris
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote