View Single Post
Old 03-21-2002, 02:56 PM   #9
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Here it is......complete:

PRIVACY ACT
Title 5 U.S. Code Annotated 552

Courts have ruled: Right of privacy is a personal right designed to protect persons from unwanted disclosure of personal information. The district court of Delaware held that the Privacy Act was enacted "for the purpose of curtailing the expanding use of Social Security numbers and to eliminate the threat to individual and confidentiality of information posed by common numerical identifiers" in a strongly worded guideline and regulation for the maintenance of privacy and protection of records on individuals.

(a) (I) It shall be unlawful to deny to any individual any right, benefit or privilege provided by law because of such individual's refusal to disclose his/her Social Security number. Should any person, business or government agency decide to deny any right, benefit or privilege when one refuses to reveal one's Social Security number, ONE CAN FILE SUIT FOR ACTUAL DAMAGES SUSTAINED BY THE INDIVIDUAL AS A RESULT OF THE REFUSAL OR FAILURE, but in no case shall a person be entitled to a recovery receive less than the sum of one thousand dollars ($1,000) and (b) the cost of the action, together with reasonable attorney's fees is determined by the courts. One may recover the reward from the government agency, business, or individual who denies one the right, benefit or privilege. Should one be denied a right, benefit or privilege and one declines to provide a Social Security number, one files suit and if he/she is aware of the PRIVACY ACT, and refuses to honor it, that INDIVIDUAL is personally required to pay the actual damages for interfering with somebody else's privacy.

This instrument serves to make any aware any and all individuals of the PRIVACY ACT. Giving such individuals constructive notice.

---------------------------------------------
I wish that I could find it on a government web site.
I wonder if there is any more current law that disputes this one?
Not that I'm going to run out and test it......it's just good to know these things, just in case.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote