View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 07:02 PM   #11
ECM

Another common upgrade among rockcrawlers is the electric fan off of a Ford Taurus/Lincoln Mark8, etc. They move a TON of air, and they're everywhere in junkyards.

However, this is a sinlge fan, so unless you fabricate a shroud yourself, it'll pull air through only the center 10" of the radiator.

The downside is they draw 33amps running on high, and a hair under 100 when first started. I'm going to be running one in my 79 C10 project rig. You can find thermostatic switches from companies like flex-a-lite easily, to turn the fan on and off at preset temps. Also, I'll be running the fan through a 75A bosch relay. Standard 25A automotive relays can get unreliable with this kind of extended load...

The real bonus for offroaders is that it keeps the engine much cooler at idle & slow speeds where clutch fans don't excel, and you can kill them whenver you want by flicking a switch if you install a manual cutoff, so when you're in deep water it'll keep the fan blades out of your radiator... and bucketfuls of water don't get thrown all over your alternator and distributor.