View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
jodyboy

compair cost to immediate $

Hi,
What I think is unimportant.
What are your motivations? Transportation or a nice shiny Costly ride in a few years time?
In making my similar decision, I listed on a sheet of paper every part this truck needs and its price. I then compared this total road worthy cost to the local market for a replacement drivable truck.
I certain you can part out and sell every removable item in a week giving you quick $ to buy a vehicle if you need transportation. (Ebay or this site)
What I did…
I have a 65 GMC, which was turquoise green this truck is a one owner vehicle, my dad bought it new, and I have the papers. I used the above system and decided I could have a useable truck for less than I could buy a drivable one. So I bought some sand paper, a case of spray paint, primered mine and drive it only when I need a truck. At most 6 times a year, also at 8 mpg I can’t drive this primered mosquito killing smoking 'classic' all the time.
I have estimated my project should take me at least 4 years and about $1000 to have the body straight primed and ready for painting, fixing the engine so it doesn’t smoke as much, fix the shifter linkage so I can shift without it locking up constantly, and hopefully get about 10-12 mpg. My cost does not include the final painting cost which I estimate to take another 1500-3000, if I do it myself. This is if I ever paint it, painting is almost too expensive for me to justify.
Finally in making my decision I realized, I don't need transportation and useable primered, dented, work in progress (drivable trailer) cost me only $300. If I had estimated it to cost much more, I would have bought a good trailer from the $ I made from selling this truck. But skipping lunch twice a week and spending the $ on the truck once every few months works for me. I might even give this truck to my kids and paint it for them on their 16 b’day. Or the for sale sign on it might attract someone with enough cash for me to sale it. I have not set a price I am letting the buyer make me their best offer. I have the time to wait and am not motivated to sell.
jodyboy is offline   Reply With Quote