View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #125
70rs/ss

Re: Project Penicillin~ 68 crewcab build up!

I am amazed, but like he says, we all have it in us we just need to do it. I have a buddy that works at the University of Arizona and he is a magician with metal. He designed and made the wheels that are on the Mars Rover, (yeah, he's that good) but he started just like us (well if we all started in Aerospace for Lockhead Martin?!). He drives a 65 Chevy truck and works on it regularly. I love sheetmetal and I am a certified welder (long line of them, my grandfather was a Machinist in Oil City, PA, my dad was an Iron worker in OH and my late brother was a pipe fitter in OH as well). But I went a different route (I am a principal at an elementary school) they never saw it coming!? I love this stuff, but do it and you'll all find out with some practice, and patience you can all do and then you'll never pay a body man $90 an hour!! I replaced the rear quarter on my 70 Camaro in my one car garage, with determination, a spotweld cutter and a 110 mig from Sears, not perfect, but better than it was and better than the factory did it. I am with you guys though time is my enemy and finding a metal master like Kevin is the way for most of us, if only he was closer!! Well, I'll just order the rockers, inner and outer, and the floor pieces and I'll pittle with the cutoff wheel over the next few weekends and I'll get some picts. Just do it, and if it doesn't work, do it again, I am not taking away from Kevin, but like he said he just tried it and read and tried some more, great advice. I am dying for more, because you are building the X-cab I have been invisioning for years. Excellent work, look forward to more inspiration.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 03-09-2006 at 12:20 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote