View Single Post
Old 12-23-2006, 02:26 AM   #1
2bits

My new 71 shorty bed

I saw this truck by accident and everyone told me not to buy it, and when I went to see it I thought it was cool as hell but had my doubts too, especially since there was no carb and the interior was shot too, but for a grand I was willing to think about it. I ended up bringing up my own carb to the lot and worked for two hours trying to get it run, finally when we replaced the spark plugs (with nasty old rusty ones from a blown engine sitting out back) it started right up! I knocked him down $100 and he threw in a free $150 tow to my house an hour away. So I just tuned it up and changed the oil and it runs great now, I took it for it's first drive to get the exhaust finished out this morning and I found out the rear end is tight as hell. It that has been changed from coil to leaf spring and moved up a foot, the bed is cut short also which looks cool, but I am bouncing around like a fool, and I can't deal with it because honestly, I am going to get spine damage. I am thinking the shocks are the wrong angle or rusted and siezed because they don't move and I am going to disconnect them Sunday. I hope it will send me in a direction, otherwise, I am going to assume the idea is conceptual and I will be looking for ideas on what to do as far as redesigning the way the rear end is set up from scratch. From the cab forward, the truck is great, no rust and the drivetrain is solid. I am going to gut the interior, paint the inner cab black, and reinstall a new seat, dash and carpet Sunday as well. I like the way the truck looks... I hope that even if the last guy rigged it wrong, and I can rig it right and make it good.

http://www.grossepointegothic.com/71stepside/

Tommy
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote