View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Re: What Tools Do I NEED?

Sawzall is an essential tool that no man should be without.

4.5" angle grinder with a $5-10 attachment to let you use a sanding disc is good.

Next in line is a good drill.

Breaker bar.

If you're doing engine work, a GOOD torque wrench that does both inch lbs and foot lbs is vital.

Lowes, believe it or not, is a great place to shop for tools. Sometimes you can manage to score great deals here and there.

A rotary tool is a nice frivilous tool to have on hand. I would NOT buy cordless, just doesn't have the torque.

A Good flourescent (sp?) shop light with plug-in (ext cord) is wonderful.

A good set of drill bits is GREAT. I just bought a new titanium Dewalt set at Home Depot for $40 and it has every size I could want. Tools are important, but good accessories are just as important.

Don't buy generic tools or accessories, you'll suffer in the long run. Buy something you'll still be using in 5-10 years. Buy each tool like you will have it for that long.

A wire brush or two for your great new drill is a good idea.

I lilke Dewalt as a brand. I think they make fine tools at a great price point.

An Air compressor makes quick work of any project. It's important to buy a good one the first time around - the tools are cheap as hell. Craftsman (@ Sears) usually has setups where you spend $300 and get a 5-7pc tool set with the compressor. This is always a big plus. Compressor is expensive, tools for it are not.

When you start getting into compressors, don't forget to buy some teflon tape and some screw-in nipples to connect the tool to the hose.

Don't forget about safety. Spend $5 and get a pitcher full of earplugs.

This is everything that comes to mind to tell someone who is just getting started.

Best thing you can do is decide what kind of tasks you'll be doing on your truck and go from there. Doing wiring and electric? Get good wire cutters, some Klien strippers and a good set of crimpers (not one of those nasty multi-tool crimper POS tools). Doing body work? Get the compressor first. Doing suspension? Compressor first. Doing engine stuff? Get the torque wrench first, then think about the compressor.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote