View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Dr. Drop

Re: has anyone used.....

I just finished a frame notch on my 1971 Camper Special today. It's not one for the 1st timer. The bend in the frame makes a bit tricky. It's best to do it with the bed off. I started with a piece of flat bar 3/16 x 6 inch, cut it to 10 inches in length. Measure 3 inches in on each end. That should leave a 4 inch section in the center. Then bend at the 3 inch line 45 Degrese. This should give you the notch part of the install. Lay this on the top of the frame rail and line it up with the center line of the axel. You can see why you need a 6 inch piece. Using this notch piece mark the side of the frame where you will install the notch. (measure twice cut once) I like to use a plasma cutter to make the notch cut. Don't forget to pull the electrical outa the way. With the notch cut out of the frame, clean it up insert the notch piece in the frame (square it and level it) and weld into place. With that done make your self a pattern to box the inside of the frame around the notch. I try to get at least 3 inches on each side of the notch and that will be plenty strong. Oh, did say do only one side at a time. You don't want to warp the frame. Good luck
Dr. Drop is offline   Reply With Quote