View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 02:11 AM   #139
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Sorry but it had to be done!

I know it was an uncut dash but in calling around for a new head unit I found out that they do not even make two knob radios any more. You can go with somthing like classic car audio but they are 2-3 times as much as a new style CD player. Since this project is "Low Buck" I can not go out and spend 3xs more then needed to get to our goal. Plus I can always undo what I did today if I decide it is needed. I also had some 5" speakers laying around so I added them to the doors along with a new pair of 6x9's. The door was already cut for 6x9's so it wasn't like I cut "good" doors I did need to cut the hole a bit larger so the speaker could mount from the front. The old ones were placed behind the door skin and that is one reason they did not last. Also if you are installing door speakers do not set them any further forward then I show because the door inner structure is at that location.

The deck is a JVC KD-G420 20W RMS X 4 (50W X 4 max). It will comtrol a CD changer, MP3 and has a AUX input jack in the front for an Ipod or other. It is a flip down face CD player and the face aslo comes off. It ran $124.99 and did not need a wiring kit to be installed like most newer cars do.

The speakers are Kenwood KFC-6903ie 300W max. I went with these because the old ones were shot from getting wet and the paper cone rotted away. These have a plastic type cone and are 3way speakers that sound alot better then they are. I payed $89.99 for these.
For some a sterio may not be needed but if it is this is a fairly cheap way to go and it still sounds very nice. So if a sterio is not for you then disreguard the $215 spent today!
It took me about 3hrs to install the deck and speakers. It was made much easier by doing this at the same time as the vent tubes.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Build Total $878.69
and 34hrs
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote