View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #309
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Started the flip kit tonight by grinding off all the old brackets and some that made no sence. This axel had a set of spring pads on it at one point that was set up for a spring under but they were not original and had been removed already. Then they had a set of bump stop pads and part of some other bracket that was half removed already. So I removed the old spring pads, bump pads and what ever was left of odds and ends.

I then made the start of my new pads. They are 7" long for now and are made out of 2x2x1/4" tube. I will cut the length down after I am finished with mock up. The old pads are set 1/2" above the axel tube but I made these 1" from the tube to the spring giving me an additional 1/2" lower then regular pads. Also the reason they are 7" long is because I had to get them in place and add the weight of the truck so I could check for the tire being center of the wheel opening. Guess what it wasn't! I will need to re-drill the center pin holes about 1 1/2" offset from center in order to shift the axel back to center things up.

I also removed the spring center pins and the add a leaf then I installed new pins from the top down so the new spring pads will have a good mount to center on. The new ones were a hole $2.66 for the set and came with new nuts as well. I also re-used the old U bolts for now but I will get new ones before I do any test driving.

So here is were things are tonight after 2hr 30min. I like the ride height so far but I will need to get the front done, gas tank installed and set back on the ground for a good look. Then once that is done I will pull the bed back off and set up the air bags and build the C-notch so I don't bottom out.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
$1188.64
73hrs
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 03-30-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote