View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: porterbuilt dropmember questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by edflores View Post
i have an 86 c10 350/700r4 that i wanted to put a dropmember in. i have several questions.
what headers would i use?
can i also stock floor body drop it?? what issues would arise??
can i keep my A/C and heater?
what would i have to modify??
i want to run 22" wheels. what backspacing/offset would work well??
can i use the crossmember to make a k5 into a 2wd?? anyone done it yet?
the last question..... well i guess i would rather have a 2wd blazer than my c10

I will be doing a complete install on a 73-87 (running/driving) truck in the next week or so. I will be posting up pics and make all the 73-87 guys aware of all the mods that go into the Dropmember install on the square body trucks. I am just eagerly awaiting the goods to get back from powder-coat. It's a 78 and will be getting a Dropmember up front and KP six-link/canti-lever out back.

It looks like the stock manifolds will be just fine... if not the 3/4 style chevelle/camaro headers will work... I will dig up a part number for ya'all.

You can body drop it to lay pinch-weld... you will have to mod. the trans tunnel slightly more than normal (the DM moves the motor and trans up about 1.5" higher than stock).

I am pretty sure the A/C and heater are gonners... especially with a 22 up front. I removed the assembly on the 78 we will be working on... If there's room with a 22 it'll be a miracle! If A/C is a necessity... looks like an aftermarket unit (like Vintage Air) under the dash is the only option.

I will answer your wheel offset/backspacing when we do the install.

We've used the Dropmember on a 72 K5 blazer... it fits. The difference is that the K frame isn't as wide as the 2WD frame. I will be developing a Dropmember specifically for the 4WD to 2WD conversions.

Give me a couple of weeks and I will be posting up the pics of the 78... there will probably be many more questions that come up. Here's a pic of the next victim!
Attached Images

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson