View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 12:35 AM   #76
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

Re: porterbuilt dropmember questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotgg View Post
like i said i am trying to make myself buy one of the porterbuilt drop members it is very hard to do when u know how to weld i love the ease of bolting something in
rotgg maybe my experience can help.
I'm a former shop owner specializing in air ride and chassis modding. I have a college degree specializing in welding engineering and can easily build most of the parts I buy. Since returning to retail work i still try to build a project now and then. I'm by no means made of money and need to balance a mortgage and other "grown up" bills against the needs of my toys.
when it came time to decide on Nathan's product I weighed the pros and cons... most of which have been stated already. For my situation I couldn't afford NOT to get it. It is a very nice piece that pictures just can't do justice. I've used weld in M-II kits from several companies, scotts superide, and the fat-man set-up. All are nice pruducts but the DM seems sturdier ( important for those sticky-up man holes) and it's easy bolt in application just can't be beat. On my burb I had the front clip off already and the motor pulled so I was a few steps ahead but I went from a stock roller to DM installed and bagged in just a few hours( 4 if memory serves). I'm confident that a weld in application would have taken me that long to feel confident that I got it placed correctly before that first bead would be run. at my old shop rate of $50/hr I'm willing to bet Nathan's product SAVED me at least 8 hours or $400 Minimum.

One pro that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that with it being Bolt-In I can put it back to stock in just as little time if that becomes an issue. gotta be worth something right.

Josh B.
^ love my Dropmember <---- sounds dirty???

"I can drag it on the ground thanks to my DropMember"
RunninLo is offline   Reply With Quote