View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Hard Luck
I've got grease on my mind.

It seems the harder I work, the luckier I get.

Let me get this started. I have had this 67 GMC 3/4 for a little more than 6 months at this point. I have already begun work on it, but there is much left to do, so I thought I would submit it to this site and let you tear it down, tell tales, and give advice.

The basics; 250 I6, NP435 4-speed, Dana 60 Full Floating rear end. Rust, dents, and broken pieces.

I bought it from a local guy who had it for about 4 years and told me he had wanted to fix it up but never had the time, "I wanted to clean it up, give it a tune up, change the oil, but I just never got around to it." That's right; he didn't even change the oil in 4 years! He used it mainly for dump runs and parked it under a tree.

When I went to look at it, the truck was full of garbage and had lost it's tailgate. It barely ran, smelled like gas, the gauges didn't work, the hazard switch was stuck so there were no turn signals, almost no brakes, and there were knitting holding on broken shards of glass to the outside mirrors.

I made the deal and came back a few days later to pick up the pickup with a bag of parts. I told him I was going to do some work to the truck so I could drive it home while he unloaded the garbage. New fuel line, cleaning out the sediment filter, and new mirror got things started. The local parts store got me the wrong plugs so that had to be for later. I was able to get it running a little more reliable before it ran out of gas. After we dug through the trash for a vessel followed by a quick trip to the gas station we were back in business.

Thank God it’s a stick! On the steep hill leaving the former owner’s house, she died at every shift and had to ‘popped’ back to life until we could get back to the gas station fill’er up. The rest of the trip home was flat and fairly uneventful, just leaving plenty of room for, what felt like, the one brake to work.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hard Luck; 10-10-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Hard Luck is offline   Reply With Quote