View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #98
Chevy454

Re: Its Gone!!! hit by a DUI

Quote:
I can just see your insurance company blaming you because of the way your rides were parked. Or him suing because if your fence and cars werent in the way he wouldnt have had this "accident".
We had our 45ft 2-car enclosed gooseneck trailer parked in front of our shop one day...all balck, triple axles, aluminum wheels, decked out inside, less than a handful of years old...so you can get an idea of what it cost us. Anyway, one of our lots has about 100' of highway frontage...one day, dad & I are bumming around town, when a local says "bummer about your trailer". We said "what do you mean", and he tells us "you know, the trailer that the truck & trailer ran through!". We jump in the truck, run over to the shop, and when we pull up, there is a mid-90s 1-ton Dodge flatbed w/gooseneck horse trailer SITTING IN THE @SS END OF OUR TRAILER! It had ran off the road, crossed a head high drainage ditch, knocked over a 4ft high wall/culvert, then ran through and into the side of our car trailer. Guy says someone pulled out in front him, so he took the ditch, and the trailer took one for the team.

Anyway, months and months go by, and when it's all said and done, we get only *partial* compensation and have to pay over $2500 out of our own pockets just to get the trailer back (we did have insurance, even extra coverage considering the cars we haul), not to mention all the time/money we were out having to *pay* to have our muscle cars transported to/from a show we host every year in St. Louis. The insurance companies interviewed both drivers, they both said it "wasn't there fault" (even though they said different @ the scene & on police report)...we fought & fought with the insurance companies, and when I finally pinned them down, I asked them why I should be penalized by having to pay to fix our trailer that someone else screwed up...there explanation was basically "that's the chance you take by having a nice trailer". We consulted a lawyer, but in Missouri you can't sue for court costs, so we figured the $2500+ it took to get the trailer back would be cheaper than the rest of the non-sense.

Last edited by Chevy454; 11-30-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote