View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #26
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: check out the new roll cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks View Post
A rollbar that is not engineered properly can be more dangerous than a vehicle without one. There would be more tubing in the vehicle that could crush you. The rollbar looks good for something that stays on the main roads but for offroading you would need some bars added from oneside to the other and some verticle bars added to the sides. It would be a maze to get to the back seat.
I think a few properly placed bars could definitely make that rollbar safer. I think you want it to work properly whether or not the vehicle ever goes off road - you want it to work if needed and vehicles do roll occasionally on the street as we all know.

What worries me is the fact that in a roll over, the side bars at the rear point of the roll bar are probably going to bend towards the rear passengers. There is nothing to keep the bars in that area from collapsing inward.

I in no way have any experience with rollbar fabrication but it sounds like safety is a concern, as it should be, and it sounds like you are open for input so I would encourage those that do know what they are talking about to draw in recommended additions to the pictured bar that epsorenson could then show to his fabricator or some other fabricator for consideration.

Triangulation is key and I bet it could be done in a way that doesn't make a jungle gym out of the interior.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote