View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #27
vtblazer

Re: check out the new roll cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsorenson View Post
yeah you've said that a few times now. i'm not sure what to make of it. i'm certainly not an engineer nor do i have an understanding of roll cages potential to withstand forces in roll over. the guy who built the cage and a few mechanic friends of mine whom i trust told me this thing is strong enough. your concerns obviously make me contemplate my kids safety. again, my main driving is surface streets at reasonable speeds just cruising around. i don't want to "over-engineer" something for the sake of doing so but you seem pretty convinced that this thing is not "functional" and it's not going to stay "intact" with a roll over...yikes
Yeah, I know I do.
The reason I keep bringing it up is that with each new person who reads this thread and includes "roll cage" with their response makes me nervous thinking that they might have the same design installed in their blazer all the while believing that their safe from a roll over, when it just isn't the case here.

Whoever is telling that it'll be "strong enough" needs to go back to physics class or cage building 101 or at least rethink the answer.
The cage has zero integrity to combat a sideways impact and during an actual roll and where will the highest forces being applied come from?
Think about it...

What could happen in anything more than a very light roll over is potentially:
1)The front hoop will push sideways, being there's nothing to prevent it from going sideways.
2)The rear legs will push inward and collapse, again because there is nothing structural to prevent them from doing so.

If nothing else a set of gussets would go a long way to building a better/safer cage.

Last edited by vtblazer; 01-09-2008 at 10:59 AM.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote