View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #28
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Re: check out the new roll cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Yeah, I know I do.
The reason I keep bringing it up is that with each new person who reads this thread and includes "roll cage" with their response makes me nervous thinking that they might have the same design installed in their blazer all the while believing that their safe from a roll over, when it just isn't the case here.

Whoever is telling that it'll be "strong enough" needs to go back to physics class or cage building 101 or at least rethink the answer.
The cage has zero integrity to combat a sideways impact and during an actual roll and where will the highest forces being applied come from?
Think about it...

What could happen in anything more than a very light roll over is potentially:
1)The front hoop will push sideways, being there's nothing to prevent it from going sideways.
2)The rear legs will push inward and collapse, again because there is nothing structural to prevent them from doing so.

If nothing else a set of gussets would go a long way to building a better/safer cage.

I don't believe anyone here is trying to trash your roll cage for the fun of it, we are all just thinking of you and your passenger's safety.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09

Last edited by Chevyman63; 01-09-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote