Thread: 1969 GMC Pickup
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #18
bobbo
Droppin' It Like It's Hot!

Re: 1969 GMC Pickup

Did quite a bit more over the weekend. Last friday I got the front driveshaft back from the driveline shop. Started to install the u-joints and one of the collars on the shaft snapped! I have installed hundreds of u-joints and never had this happen. The u-joints were the right size, but the metal must be really weak, so I took it back to the driveline shop and had them weld a new end on it and install the u-joints. They broke an end too! So I don't feel so bad. Went to install the transmission mount on Saturday and found the frame holes to mount the cross-member were too far forward and when I put the trans up far enough to get the cross-member under the mount, the trans sat against the floor. When the V-8 was originally installed they must have put a different engine mount bracket on or just mounted them too far back because the distributor sits about 1/4" from the firewall. We fabricated a bracket for the trans mount to bring the transmission down and cut some holes in the frame to mount the cross-member. Everything underneath looks good. (Didn't get any pics tonight of it but will post some tomorrow) Installed the new master cylinder and installed a one wire alternator as that was what the truck was already wired for. Installed and wired the electric cooling fan. Installed a new headlight switch and rewired the tail lights so all the lights work except the high beams which just need new bulbs. Going to run the exhaust tomorrow and fix a couple fuel leaks I found after running it for a few tonight. The carb is leaking BADLY and there is a leak on the fuel line along the frame. Will post more pics tomorrow of the exhaust and transmission mount fabrication.
Attached Images

1969 1500

Norwood, MO 2007
Big Sandy, TN 2008 Had nothing to do with the forklift!
Kirkwood, MO (Midwest Meet 2009)
Midwest All Truck Nationals, KCMO - 2008 - 2009 - 2010 - 2012 - 2014

SUPPORT THE SITE HERE!

Last edited by bobbo; 04-25-2008 at 05:36 AM.
bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote