View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #92
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Re: 1969 Chevy CST/10 comes home [Long-term project "OrangeCrush"]

Today:

Got an early start, and dropped down the starter and fabbed up some heat shields for the starter and solenoid (protects them from the heat off the headers).

Got a fan shroud from my dad's friend (trading for the fuelpump that came with the truck), and it'll fit with some cutting and trimming.

And oh the joys of the fuel system. To clean out the gas tank, we put in about 3 gallons. At the bottom of the tank, the fuel line ran to a pot to collect the dirty gas. Then at the top, my dad used the leaf blower to start the flow of fuel (siphon effect) by blowing air down the filler neck. Problem was, once the fuel started flowing, the siphon effect didn't stop, and gas kept going. Brown, dirty, stinky, gas! So anyways, I plug the fuel line with my finger (after it has already overflown the pot with dirty gas), and my dad goes off to get a bolt to plug the fuel line. Nothing like getting soaked in dirty gasoline So anyways, plug off the line, change shirts, and went onto cleaning out the hard lines. Clammed the gas tank line, and ran the new rubber line to the hard fuel line (runs the length of the frame rails).

Started it up, and now the truck runs entirely on it's own gas!

Also rebuilt the alternator with another regulator out of a spare alternator that was lying around. But, that regulator is worn out, and the alternator doesn't quite charge right, so until that's fixed, the truck is still driveway bound.

BUT, ladies and gents, boys and girls, just have to fix that alternator. Tidy up a few things here and there. And this big ol' beast will take it's maiden voyage!
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote