View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #246
Matt Mann

Re: Post Your Ride 88-98 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-350 View Post
I don't understand what they mean by saying true duals isn't possible. Either they're dumb or smokin too much hoobeedoo. I'm not familiar if your state has emissions tests.
well, that came from summit racing when I called to order headers and a dual exhaust. I never did get the parts, but I did get a nice but unwanted debate on the legalities of removing a OEM exhaust.

As for emissions, the truck itself is bone stock with the single exhaust and one cat. I don't have a problem with running dual cats... SC has no emissions testing as part of a licencing, however, should I decide to return to Ohio, they may require an emissions check depending on the county, but that's 3 yrs away at the least.

Just smokes me that I can't modify a truck I own, using off the shelf parts when the locals couldn't care less.

Quote:
Puff of blue smoke just when you fire it up? It's caused by oil dripping down your valves when the engines off. Oil will actually seep down the sides of your valves and sit on top of them, until you spin your motor up in the mornin, and that oil gets sucked in and burned for about the first few seconds of running. The way the oil gets in there? Could be valve stem seals, letting oil through your valve guides when you shut the motor off. Easy enough fix.
That's what I figgered, although I was trying to decide whether to just replace the top end, with something like an Edlebrock performer kit, or just spring for a crate ZZ383, or just have the whole engine rebult.

Quote:
I mounted my CB whips on brackets screwed to the side of my toolbox, although you could do them without a toolbox on the inside of your box, or in the stakepockets somehow, or elsewhere. If you're deadset on putting it on the roof, and hard mounting it, it'd be a little more work on yours. My truck, for instance, has a small hole with a rubber plug insert on the roof, a couple of inches in front of the third brake light. I've seen people put a cb antenna there. As for yours, you could drill a hole there, or if you don't want to do that, mount one or two inside your box, or even just on on a small bracket dead center of your box, on the front headboard there.
Well, take another look at the pics... no third brake lamp, but, it would seem given those directions it would land directly above where the interior dome light is... I am installing a tonneau cover so stake pockets are out, no tool box so that's out, and this antenna isn't available with mirror mount, (Comet UHM-4) I was really hoping to mount on the roof just for simplicity, but I'll keep looking... I did find a fender mount bracket, and the mechanic and I will be looking more closely at that the next chance we get...

Quote:
And by the way, nice truck.
Thanks for the kind words Mark, I appreciate your reply, and I'll keep working at it...I plan on keeping this truck at least another 3 years or 100,000 miles...

Stay Tuned...

Matt

Last edited by Matt Mann; 05-01-2008 at 06:54 AM.