View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 03:53 AM   #39
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: My burbarific build thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291261
update;
I got the 12 bolt one step closer to being ready to slip under the burb.
Nothing real exciting... but progress is progress.
So hear goes
Rear came with the burb, came out from under a 72 1/2 ton big block burb... SHOULD be a 3.07 gear, but I'll be confirming that. Already confirmed it is a one wheel wonder, but I'm cool with that, it's a cruiser, not a race car.

Spent an hr with the steam cleaner blowing crap all over me, and soaking me to the bone, came out looking like this;

Those two were with the phone, which is now sporting a cracked camera lens... terrific.
Get it home (and grab the actual camera), and back into the drive... you can see space is VERY limited here... everyone else's projacts in the way... to include someone's project of cutting the branches off the tree... I'm parked on top of that mess.
The lack of a hoist makes these things interesting, but not impossible.

Prop the yoke up on the truck so i can get the whole rear done easily

You can see the same jar of POR15 on the plastic box to the left... still going, but it is getting low... and when i opened it, i discovered a thin skin covering the top. I hope to use the rest of it up on the front suspention before opening another quart.

I plan to remove the cover here this weekend maybe, so i can take it to work and sand blast it bafore POR'ing it. I don't want it to be all rough looking.

After POR, I shot it with some clear coat I had laying around (yes, spray bomb)... left over from the rally wheel redo.

The brake shoes look great, the springs and hdwr look awesome, so I'll probably just pull it all off, and POR the inside of the backing plate... gives the shoes a real smooth place to slide. I'll be sand blasting the finned drums too, and hitting them with gloss black engine paint. Hopefully they won't get hot enough to burn the paint, and the fresh blasted metal will keep it from rusting from under the paint. I've done it a few times before, and it's been 50/50 on longevity of the paint, so we'l see what happens.
I did buy some straps and bolts for the rear U joint to yoke... so I spent 7.56 at NAPA... Otherwise, that's all i spent.
one hr getting wet, and I think i have about 2 1/2 into the POR and paint... and that's about it.
Slow progress is better than nothing at all.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote