Thread: pass time
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
PA-IndianRider

Re: pass time

[quote=hotrod 80;2836386]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67dragtruck View Post
...... What in the world is it with guys making passes for national tv and not running their nitrous and just making motor passes. .......
Ahhhhh the "signs of youth.....

I know there are plenty of GUYS "running ALL-OUT" on Pass Time.... But you also has to take in account the GUYS who opt to NOT SPRAY or NOT SPRAY "ALL" they are packing comes from being "older & wiser".

From what I have gathered On PASS TIME from the very "limited" talk that happens at the starting line of each pass is that many of the more experienced drivers are reluctant to "hit ALL the switches" which comes from their years of racing experience but even MORE so from KNOWING "what" & their car/truck "can" or can't do.

Also recall.... many of "Pass Time" episodes are filmed at night.... VERY LATE at night in some cases.... very late at night in "warmer climates" that are having unusally cold nights.

Anyone knowing this combination or having "experienced" similar conditions where they race KNOW the dangers of DRAG RACING on those conditions especially "puttin' ALL the juice" to it.

Another thing mentioned that would also make me "think twice" is many of the racers say that they have NEVER made a pass on that particular drag strip..... mostly importantly ....they NEVER ran ALLOUT PASS..... NOW I would call that a "WISE" move on their part NOT a "chicken out"

Let's NOT forget that this is ONLY a TV show.... so give THEM what they want .....put on a SHOW.... do a BIG burn out.... do a SAFE pass ..... put your "prize & joy" back on the trailer or drive it home in one piece...... repeating this to yourself .... "it's only a TV show... it's only a TV show.....

NOW.... if we are talking about "Pinks-All-Out" and the prize is $10,000+ in CASH plus along with the "prestige" of being a "PINKS All Out CHAMPION" then NO DOUBT you do what the show is all about..... you go ALL-OUT.... all the buttons are pushed - all the NOS is sprayed.

I am sure our own "67-72 Chevy Truck Forum.... Pinks All Out Champion "Marv Davis" did not hesitate to go "all out on every pass.

So my case in point.... there is sooooo much to learn about being a successful "long-time" drag racer than going fast & then after that .... going faster without thought or care.

This is what I have learned thru my own & the experiences of my drag racing buddies.... some of that learning came "the hard way"

Over the years I have learned in many different ways .... both on the drag strip & street. By pushing an engine that extrafew hundred RPMs ..... or spraying a little too much when a track will not "hold" the car ..... hitting the switch at the starting linewhen the engine/car is NOT QUITE ready for the "BIG BANG" at the starting line yet.

Guys like DJ, Marv, Regan Wilson, Super 73 & others who frequent this forum NOT only KNOW drag racing engines, suspensions, etc..... they ALSO know their cars/trucks ..... what will work.... what will NOT work ..... and most IMPORTANTLY when to USE or NOT USE "all your stuff" and when the time is RIGHT to ...."run the daylights of it".

I think one thing that was made especially clear when DJ made his run on PASS TIME was the confidence he had about how his C10 would run and "hook-up" ..... that "proof" was shown for all the Speed Channel's audience to see.... that bad a** C10 can RUN... and it's owner knows it & knows how to "drag race".

Obiviously for racers like DJ being experienced is more than just how many decals you can put on the side of a car.... it comes for knowing your car/truck can do it. Much like the often said saying "...know when to hold 'em.... know when to fold 'em....know when to walk away..... know when to RUN" ....W o W.... that saying really works doesn't it... HA!!!

Of course if you have an "unlimited" amount of $$$ MONEY $$$ MOST or ALL of what I just said does NOT pertain"....and if so I have just just wasted a lot time typing ALL of this "tangent" of mine..... HA!!!!
Attached Images

"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 08-05-2008 at 09:50 AM.
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote