View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
PBFAB.COM

Re: $999 for a Dropmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68laydout View Post
This could get ugly, but here goes. Maybe if a shop is doing it, but if you do it yourself there is no way cost is comparable. I just got all the info from Nate on what it takes to get a dropmember installed and if I had the extra cash I would go for it, for sure! Since I'm on a crappy budget I will have to stick with the Z route, which will cost me less than $600 bucks total. Little more work than a DM install, but cheaper no doubt. No comparison in cost and I did not want to start anything here, just stating the facts.
There's no doubt that if you are qualified and able to Z your frame, then the actual money laid out to do the job would be less than a Dropmember conversion. If you were paying a qualified fabricator "time and materials" to do the job, then it would most likely be more affordable to go with the DM.

I don't want to get to deep into the "Z" vs. Dropmember debate, but when comparing ALL the pros and cons to each method (not just price), the Dropmember wins hands down.

I know budget is a concern with the majority of us guys building these trucks, so I will do a quick breakdown on parts and average costs. I do not sell all the parts listed, but will post up a parts/accessories list with descriptions/part numbers/sources to find them. The below prices would be what I consider "average" with room for savings if you're a savvy shopper.

Dropmember $999
Shipping on DM $100
Bags $150
Shocks $75
Rack and pinion $175
Steering linkage $280
Power Steering lines $65

My math says that's just under $1850. This price would be the bare essentials to get you rolling. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was $100 to save by spending some time on-line. Drop spindles and possibly tubular arms MIGHT be necesary to lay frame depending on your tire diameter.

Here's the parts list:
Dropmember Accessory List

I have put this list together to assist my customers in purchasing the necessary components to complete the installation of the Dropmember.

Dropmember: $999

Includes: Main cross-member; inner frame support plates; upper control arm/bag mounts; motor mounts (specify SBC, BBC, GENIII); transmission cross-member; shock mounts; billet tie-rod ends and chromoly heims w/hardware; billet rack and pinion mounting bushings; rack notches (weld-in frame for tie-rod clearance); shock mounts; all hardware necessary to install the Dropmember.

Below is a picture of the new Dropmember design. The main design change is found in the lower control arm mount. I have eliminated the billet mounting blocks found on the original Dropmember, and gone to a machined saddle that utilizes the factory style U-bolt to secure the lower control arm shaft.

Rack and Pinion Steering:

The rack and pinion used with the Dropmember is from a 1979-1993 Mustang application. Both power and manual rack and pinion units can be purchased through Unisteer Performance (www.unisteer.com). Also, 22-201F is a Parts Master part number that can easily be cross referenced by any local parts house, saving up to $100.

Steering Linkage 63-72:

You will need three u-joints, a support bearing, and steering shaft to connect your column to your rack and pinion. Steering linkage and joints can be sourced through Borgeson (www.borgeson.com)

Column end u-joint:

On the 63-66 factory column you will need a 3/4smooth bore by 3/4DD u-joint.

On the 67-72 factory column you will need a 3/4-36spline by 3/4DD u-joint.

Middle U-joint:

The middle joint of the linkage is a 3/4DD by 3/4DD u-joint.

Rack and Pinion U-joint:

If using a power rack and pinion, the u-joint for the rack end is a 3/4-36 x 3/4DD u-joint.

If using a manual rack and pinion, the u-joint for the rack end is a 9/16-26 x 3/4DD.

Shaft Support Bearing:

The shaft support bearing is a spherical rod-end, also known as a heim-joint.

Steering Shaft:

At least 18” of 3/4DD shaft will be needed.

Steering Linkage 73-87:

You will need three u-joints, a support bearing, and steering shaft to connect your column to your rack and pinion. Steering linkage and joints can be sourced through Borgeson (www.borgeson.com)

Column end u-joint:

On the 73-87 factory columns there are two possible options:
1"DD x 3/4DD
1"-48 x 3/4DD

Middle U-joint:

The middle joint of the linkage is a 3/4DD by 3/4DD u-joint.

Rack and Pinion U-joint:

If using a power rack and pinion, the u-joint for the rack end is a 3/4-36 x 3/4DD u-joint.

If using a manual rack and pinion, the u-joint for the rack end is a 9/16-26 x 3/4DD.

Shaft Support Bearing:

The shaft support bearing is a spherical rod-end, also known as a heim-joint

Steering Shaft:

At least 18” of 3/4DD shaft will be needed.

Power Steering Lines:

Power Steering lines are best sourced through Borgeson (www.borgeson.com) part#925102.

Shocks:

Monroe 32245 or equivalent are used with the Dropmember.

Bags:

Slam Specialties RE7 air springs are recommended for use with the Dropmember. A Firestone bag will allow approx. ½” more drop.

Control Arms:

The Dropmember was designed to be used with Air Ride Technologies Strong Arms, however, factory arms can be used. 63-72 control arms may be used with slight modifications for clearance; and 73-87 factory arms with no modifications for clearance. Factory lower arms will need to be modified to accept an air bag (i.e. bag plate or cup). We do offer a bag plate that bolts to the top of the lower control arm.

Headers:

When running a Small Block Chevy motor, Hooker headers part# 2466HKR work excellent
When running an LS1 or GenIII motor, I have had customers run 2000 F-body headers from Hooker.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson