Thread: Dropmember C4
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #102
PBFAB.COM

Re: Dropmember C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild83C10 View Post
I'm more interested in performance then looks so the C4 (or the not yet released C5) DM is very interesting. However, how much of a performance difference will I see over the regular DM? I would use tubular control arm with the regular DM since I already have them.
I guess what I am really asking is if its worth the extra money? Thanks
SCOTI is correct on the geometry differences between the Dropmember and DropmemberC4. The DropmemberC5 is currently only a CAD file and numbers in a suspension analyzer program. Once it is developed and properly tested, we will be hearing much more about it.

Here's the skinny on the two current versions available:

Although the regular Dropmember's geometry is an improvement from stock, I would not refer to it as a "performance suspension"... just an improvement over stock. The regular Dropmember is more of a daily driver type system, where camber gains are not as significant as would be a "performance" design. Due to the travel available, via the airspring, I wanted the wheels to not have hard negative camber on full compression. To accomplish this, the camber curve couldn't be too aggressive.

Now the DropmemberC4 on the other hand, was designed as a performance suspension system. It has a greater camber gain, a lower roll center, and a different castor trail. It's ride height is about an inch higher than the regular Dropmember (at 6.5-7"), and it will not allow the truck to lay frame when fully deflated.

The Dropmember C4 is a little more expensive than the regular Dropmember, but if you find a good deal on the C4 parts (uses 88-96 C4 components),it could make all the difference. Keep an eye on craigslist... people are unloading a lot of stuff CHEAP just to put gas in their car and food on the table. I scored a 96 front suspension a couple weeks back with 13" rotors for $400, complete.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 10-01-2008 at 11:51 PM.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote