Thread: 72' K-10 Bbc!
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #54
green724x4

Re: 72' K-10 Bbc!

well yesterday was raceday at a buddies house were there are quad and truck races. Its a 500 ft marked track.
My goal was to be up in the top contenders. Well I started out with putting on a set of tires and wheels my dad had on his 99 silverado. So I swaped out my ATs for some Cooper STTs. Then after adjusting the timming some more we thought we had it dialed in. Running 35 total timming and 93octane with vac. advance hooked up. Since I was running low on fuel. I said why not grab some 110. Just for insurance. So I am running like 90% 110, 10% 93.

Turns out the truck still seems to hesitate. I am like wtf.
I get to the track and start running it in what I thought was 4lo acctually 2hi. So I just spun like crazy didn't get out of the hole for like 20 seconds and 5k+ rpms.
Then I am like ok lets try 4 hi, nope not enough pull and the motor is still lagging with this pop right before boost comes on. So I am really sucking it up. Well I go throught and try a number of diffrent of combinations still slow out of the line. Lots of lag between inital take off and boost.
Even when power braking up to 1,200 rpms. Brakes wouldnt hold anymore.

After dicking with the timming, setting it at 30 overall. Disconnecting vac advance , Taking my passengers foot and holding the t case shiffter in 4 lo and manually shifting it between 1,2,drive. I was kicking ass and winding her up to 6000 rpms.

I was running with a 2 550 hp powerstrokes with all diffrent mods, a Blue 87 chevy with nitrous.
I was pleased but disapointed that I found I have so much more to do.

No Breakage ya.

the pretty much stock th350 with a shift kit held up and so did everything else.

I really don't have any video myself at the moment but check back in a couple of weeks. I got video of before the tune ups. But not really worth posting.
i PROMISE I WILL GET U GUYS SOME VID FROM THE LAST COUPLE OF RUNS!

I found that I also should have disconnected the Detent cable to get more rpms because in Drive the tranny shifts early because as the boost comes on its only maybe 3,000 -5,000 before it shifts. In 4wd anyway because the boost creates more vacum which makes the tranny think I am letting off the throtle When I am really on the floor.

Just learned I got alot more to do
Attached Images

green724x4 is offline   Reply With Quote