View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #29
Billhilly

Re: 41DegreesSouth Build Thread

Wow, well thats kinda ugly. 04 2007 to 10 2008. I wonder what I can use an excuse! I have been busy, honest.
Tore the back off my house (the young bit, built 1897, and rebuilt a new kitchen, bathroom) but back to more important things, finally.
Chassis was cleaned back, welded up all the extra holes and cracks, fitted solid fuel boosters and wind up spare tyre. Gave the chassis a quick sand blast then a coat of rust sealer followed by a two pack epoxy prime. Then two top coats of a vinyl acrylic paint. (NO, not a water based paint!) This was all meant to be a reasonably priced deal that I could do, instead of POR15, Rustbullet etc.
Have painted the chassis, diffs, hubs, rims, springs etc. Next is rebuild the diff's (ball joints, u joints, seals etc) then put the transfer case back together. Then new brake lines, tidy the motor gearbox up and put in the chassis. Shouldn't take long! But I have started right.
Oh, final colour was meant to be a smokey charcoal deal. Just didn't want all black underneath. Ended up mixing a liter of straight black in with the charcoal I had. Jury is still out.
Attached Images